Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

///M3///M5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
All,

I am trying to transfer my current 750GB hard drive to a 256GB SSD (Crucial m4) that I want to run internally (as my only drive) on my 13.3" Unibody (bought it two weeks ago) MBP.

When I run the software that was provided, EZ GIG III, I get an error telling me the drive I am transferring to is smaller than the source. Understand this, but my concern is that it will just start at the beginning and not make it to the partition.

Basically, sorry for what is probably a newb question, but what is the best way to get all the data off the 750GB drive (including the partition, Win7, etc.) onto the new 256GB SSD without having to re-install Windows 7 via Bootcamp?

Or:

I am mostly in Window 7, so would it be best to buy an Opti-drive and just run both the SSD and 750GB drive internally and just run Win7 on the SSD and Loin on the other?

Thanks in advance.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
All,

I am trying to transfer my current 750GB hard drive to a 256GB SSD (Crucial m4) that I want to run internally (as my only drive) on my 13.3" Unibody (bought it two weeks ago) MBP.

When I run the software that was provided, EZ GIG III, I get an error telling me the drive I am transferring to is smaller than the source. Understand this, but my concern is that it will just start at the beginning and not make it to the partition.

Basically, sorry for what is probably a newb question, but what is the best way to get all the data off the 750GB drive (including the partition, Win7, etc.) onto the new 256GB SSD without having to re-install Windows 7 via Bootcamp?

Or:

I am mostly in Window 7, so would it be best to buy an Opti-drive and just run both the SSD and 750GB drive internally and just run Win7 on the SSD and Loin on the other?

Thanks in advance.

look at winclone for the windows partition and Carbon Copy Cloner for the Mac partition

///M3///M5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
OK. I partition the SSD using Boot Camp. I then use Paragon CampTune to shrink the old Windows 7 partition to a size that would fit on the new 128GB allocation.

I used Winclone to clone the old HD to the new 128GB partition on the SSD. Started up in Windows on the SSD and it will not boot. I booted on the Windows Disk to try and repair and asked it to repair the start-up and it was unable to do so.

Did I miss something? Is there an extra step I need to me taking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.