Crucial M4 and Resilient Beach Balls

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Aug 24, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

For those of you who have been following my Crucial M4 saga, the most recent chapter is the delivery of a new one. Without having the option of swapping out out the M4 for a 470, I was fenced into getting another one (even though I never suspected the original was defective.) For a moment, things were looking up. The replacement drive was shipped in a nice box and the Crucial packaging was not smashed in like the original. Furthermore, the sticker on the replacement drive said it had firmware revision 0002. The "hmm, perhaps this may work, after all" frame of mind was short lived. As soon as I launched OS, it beach balled. So far, the experience has been the same as the old drive. Ugh. Now what.

The problems seem to lie with my system. All those rumors circulating that the earliest manufactured 2011 MacBook Pros have faulty SATA III ports may have some merit, after all. If that is the problem, how exactly would one go about getting Apple to own up to their mistake and fix my machine? What responsibility would be of theirs to look into a problem affecting a third-party drive, undoubtedly the Apple stock HDs work. Additionally, if I were to have the computer tended to, the drive would most likely behave like a naughty child in front of his parents while his babysitter tries to convince them that he gave her trouble.

Before installing the replacement drive, I took a photo of my SATA cable. Does anything look awry? It is bent, as you can see. Would this adversely affect the performance of a SATA II drive? Still many questions, but the course seems chartered for SATA II.

Attached Files:

2. Fugue macrumors 6502

I'm afraid you're right. SATA II seems like your best option now. You can certainly try to replace your MBP, but is it worth the effort?

The Samsung 470, Crucial C300, or Kingston V+100 seem like your best options.

3. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Crucial C300 is an SATA III drive, so certainly not the best option if you want to go to 3Gbs.

4. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why my drive works at all if there's something wrong with my SATA III connection.

5. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

More importantly, why does my drive post sufficient - great benchmark numbers?

6. zkaudio macrumors member

Hi, I'm new to the club... 2011 macbook pro I7 quad 17" w/ M4 256gb... just installed today, learning about the beachball first hand! this looks like a headache... just got my first one.

7. iliramove macrumors newbie

I'm one of the early adopters of the Crucial M4 256GB version. In the beginning, the beach balls were driving me crazy. However, they've posted new firmware 0002 and 0009, the former already fixed the beach ball issue and the latter an improvement upgrade. I'm currently on it's firmware 0009 and without beach ball anymore.

8. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, It's just bizarre that I still have the problem, sporadically, after updating the Firmware.