Crucial M4 in MBP failed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoeshine, Jul 1, 2012.

1. shoeshine macrumors member

I went to boot up my MBP the other day and got a flashing grey folder with question mark. I figured a corrupt directory or something made the startup files not readbale, so booted into target mode, connected the MBP to my imac and ran Disk Utility on it. When doing that, it detected an error, but gave me the message that it couldnt fix it because of an invalid key length.

So, tried the same procedure with Drive Genius, and got the same message. Then again with Disk Warrior, which went through the process of rebuilding my directory, but then, when I told it to replace the new directory i get an error message stating the there was a disk malfunction. It says the rebuild the disk again, but then i get the same message. it cites error code (2351, -36).

My MBP has a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD. the drive is about 3 months old. I have backups of my files, so no concerns there really but this seems like kind of an epic crash. Is this hardware related? faulty SSD? or just a weird fluke? anyone seen this before?

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I can't say that this is common but flash memory does have the ability to just stop working. Glad you made backups!

Crucial Drives are known to be very reliable, so it's interesting to hear that it stopped working.

3. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yeah, SSD are still on the cutting edge of technology so this does happen from time to time. It is a lot less common than a year or so ago. Crucial and Samsung are two of the most reliable but defects do occur.

You did the right thing by keeping a backup though, very smart!

-P