Crucial m4 SSD blowing up 15" Early 2011 MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by its, Apr 25, 2012.

1. its, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

its macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

So i have installed this Crucial m4 256GB SSD few months ago in Early 2011 MBP.. Now since then the logic board has "blown" up twice and Apple has replaced it.. the 2nd time it blew up was 3 months of SSD usage after the 1st replacement.. now they replaced it and within 24 hrs it again went dead ..

The symptoms

1) 1st two times - POST will not work. After chime , no display nothing.. dead
    2) 3rd time - OSX will boot and loud beeps and crazy horizontal lines on display and shut down..

Did AHT (and the Geniuses did ) and came alright..

Apple seems to think it's SSD (they are guessing) .. Is it even possible? Can that be the case? or is it just purely coincidental ?

Hopefully apple replaces the FULL BODY this time and it does not cost me.. but even if they do.. what should I do?

I have googled around and have not found any such similar case online..

Anyone with similar setup , any ideas?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Blow up?

I put in a Samsung 256GB 830 and it works fine. Same comp as yours.

3. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I would have voided the warranty from the get go. I am surprised Apple replaced the logic board twice.

Is it possible the SSD is causing it? Yes. Is it probable? No. But still you have an aftermarket piece of equipment connected directly to the component that keeps failing.

If they will replace it again, run your stock drive (or see if Crucial will give you a replacement M4). I would go with the stock drive though, so if it fails again then you can 100% say it is Apple's equipment failure.

4. its, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

its thread starter macrumors newbie

Y will it void warranty when apple allows you to replace RAM and HDD and hardware tests say they are fine??

Also it didn't crash from get go .. it worked fine for few months

true the next step can be replacing the SSD with HDD and see how it performs..

still don't see how an SSD can be screwing up logic board and display!!!

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

In my somewhat limited experience, i've never heard of any drive effecting a motherboard in this way. The worst that could happen is that all of the leads are shorted out. I would think that there is circuit protection for the power lead of the drive. If there isn't, than Apple is totally responsible for this hypothetical ridiculous situation.

You might have checked the drive in another machine. But perhaps that's too much to ask. I know it's exhausting hooking up hard drives. I do it all day. Connecting those leads makes me drowsy, and I just want to hurt someone. :D

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Hey its, what ever happened? Did Apple replace your logic board? Did you have the 2.2 i7 board?

My stock HDD was fried by the logic board and both were replaced 5 months after I purchased my early 2011 MBP. The logic board just went bad again after another 7 months and it's in getting fixed right now.

Has anyone else had to replace the logic board on their 2011 mbp? Two new boards in a little over a year and I'm starting to wonder if there's another bad manufacturer part being used for these notebooks.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I have the exact computer and the same SSD, I have had no problems. My SSD and computer has been great since the upgrade about 4 months ago.

8. Orlandoech, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Maybe the underwhelming slow speeds of the M4 couldn't keep up with the speeds of the MBP and it fried.

Seems logical considering how slow the m4 is, and how overpriced it is for how slow it is lol.

I kid I kid, sorta.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's a great drive if you catch it on sale. I only paid $160 for my 256GB model.

10. JTyler82 macrumors regular

Uh

I have an M4 and a Late 2011 MBP, and it's running great. Upgraded about 2 months ago

Btw. I agree. It's a great drive but I wish I would have splurged for an Samsung 830. I only payed 80 for mine but it's a 128

11. FuNGi, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Same computer and same drive here. Only thing blowing up is my multi-tasking!!!

Such strange behavior to blame on a SSD. You might want to put the stock drive back in before mailing it in again though. Apple can remove and discard third party components deemed incompatible. At least they did with some bad RaM I had awhile back.

12. JTyler82 macrumors regular

I totally agree. For being so cheap and having a bad rap, the M4 is a pretty nice drive to be honest. lol

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I guess the write speeds kind of suck compared to other options, but for my use(and likely most other people) it doesn't matter.

14. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Totally. Coming from my 7200rpm hybrid HDD (write speed of 60) to my M4 write speeds went up 275% :eek: Read speed increase of 631% :eek::p:D