Crucial M500 240gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luke71933, Jul 14, 2014.

1. luke71933 macrumors member

Hi,
    I am in the market for an SSD for my macbook pro 2012. Is this SSD reliable and what about its performance and speed. IT is very cheap compared to the samsung 840 pro, like half the price. What about the integration of this SSD and software, hardware and software integration is something which apple is praised a lot about it, will this SSD integrate well with OS X like the HDD I have in my macbook now.

Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how to install os x on the new SSD and what to do before taking out the old HDD.

Thanks

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Crucial SSD will be fine. I ran the previous M4 in my 2011. The 840 Evo is a bit quicker, but not that you'd notice in normal use.

Read up here on Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X on to the new drive. You can transfer your applications and data using Migration assistant from either the old HDD attached via a USB caddy or from a Time Machine backup.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The M500 will work fine for you. It has been replaced by the Crucial MX100, so you might check pricing on the MX100 also.

Just get yourself a cheap USB3 external enclosure, then format the new drive and clone the old to the new following this video.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Crucial makes great stuff, I also used an M4 in my old MBP about 2 years ago. I ended up giving the MBP to my parents, but it still works just fine.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how to install os x on the new SSD and what to do before taking out the old HDD. ]]

I have an m500 240gb running as my "external booter" for the Mac Mini on which I'm typing this post. Runs fast, no problems.

The m500 is a good value, I'm guessing that the prices for the m500 series are discounted right now to clear out old stock, as I believe the m500 is superseded by the new m100 series (could be wrong, others pls correct me).

But you shouldn't have any qualms about buying a just-discontinued model of drive. Again, runs fine.

Re your question about installation:

Here's what I would suggest:
    1. When you get the new drive, you should also order something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...=1405348304&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+uasp
    or this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...=1405348304&sr=8-2&keywords=inateck+usb3+uasp
    Either an enclosure or dock will do the job. I tend to like docks, because they make it possible to swap around extra drives like bread in a toaster.

2. Put the SSD into the drive/dock FIRST.
    3. Connect it to the Mac. Drive may "show up" with the alert that you have just inserted a drive that is unreadable, do you want to initialize it?
    4. Yes, you do. Open Disk Utility and initialize the drive for HFS+ with journaling enabled.
    5. You'll now have an initialized, but as-yet empty, SSD
    6. Now download CarbonCopyCloner from the URL below. CCC is FREE to download, and is FREE to use for 30 days:
    http://www.bombich.com/download.html
    7. In CCC's window, use your internal drive as the "source" (left side), and the SSD as the "target" (right).
    8. CCC can also clone the recovery partition, be sure this option is set up.
    9. Let CCC do its thing, will take a few minutes.
    10. When done, next move is VERY important -- TEST the new SSD BEFORE you do the installation.
    11. To do this, reboot and hold down the option key until the startup manager appears. If you have done a good clone, you should see the new drive in the SM window. Click on it with the point and hit return, and the Mac should boot from the external SSD in the enclosure (or dock).
    12. If you get a good boot, take a good look around and satisfy yourself that you in fact have a good clone of your internal (should look EXACTLY THE SAME as if booted from the internal, check "about this Mac" to be sure which drive is the boot drive!)

13. Once all this is done, NOW it's time to "do the drive swap".
    14. Go to ifixit.com and find the correct installation guide for the hard drive. For the unibody MacBook Pro, it's VERY easy.
    15. BE SURE that you have the RIGHT TOOLS for the job. You'll need a Phillips #00 screwdriver and a TORX T-6 driver.

If you've read this far, it may seem like a lot of work, but it's not.
    Just prep the drive externally before you swap it out.
    The actual swap is easy.

6. luke71933 thread starter macrumors member

the crucial mx100 costs only 10GBP more. it is worth it i think

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Agreed. Good review of the MX100 here and the review discusses how it compares to the M500.

8. luke71933 thread starter macrumors member

should I upgrade now or let the price drop even more, The macbook is still useable and not that slow on safari(which I use most), it takes long to boot tough and takes time to open programs.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

SSD prices I think will continue to slowly drop in price, but I don't believe you will see the big price drops like we did in the last year or so. I would just get one now and enjoy it.