Crucial Memory 2x2GB macbook aluminum 2008, still freezing?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mashimaro, Nov 22, 2009.

1. mashimaro macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just updated my macbook's RAM to 4gb using two 2gb Crucial memory sticks. I experience freezing (randomly, but not a lot) and wonder if anyone else here at MacRumors still experience this problem w/ Crucial memory (in Snow Leopard)? I apple fixed this back in 10.5. Anyway, I did reset PRAM, and it still did not help.

Again, freezing is random, my memory stick past the AHT and I'm currently using Rember to see if it locks up.

Thanks!

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

no problems with my set and I've had it in for a good 6 months or more.

3. mosx macrumors 65816

I'm using 2 sticks of 2GB Transcend DDR3 in mine that I bought on sale at Fry's. Works just fine. Bad sticks maybe?

Run the hardware diagnostic test that comes on the OS X DVDs.

4. mashimaro thread starter macrumors newbie

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Any RAM may fail, and even the best memory tests sometimes don't detect failing RAM.

Try putting your original RAM back in and see if the freezing goes away. Please, please, please be sure to ground yourself as well as possible when handling the RAM. Keep one hand on the metal frame of your computer.

If the original RAM works, but the Crucial RAM seems to cause problems, contact Crucial and request a replacement.

Even the best RAM providers can sometimes allow duds to slip through. I guarantee you it's not an issue with "Mac OS X not being compatible with Crucial brand RAM."

6. mashimaro thread starter macrumors newbie

I was grounded when inserting the RAM.

I noticed a pattern though, it freezes (randomly) only "after" I watch a video (natively, not like YouTube or anything). When I don't watch video during one of my sessions, it works fine. I use up all my memory each session as I run two virtual machine sessions using VMWare, torture tested the memory sticks, and they're fine.

Strange... haha

@csjxx, our problems our different, bumping the macbook doesn't cause it to freeze

I appreciate everyone trying to help me :)