Crucial memory (older) with Mac PRo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dtancu, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dtancu macrumors newbie

Hi guys, my first post in here so please be gentle :)
    I need to buy memory for mac pro (4 core) and I only found these available from my country (I live in Romania):

CT2KIT12872AF667

Now Crucial support is telling me (via their Live Chat service) that these are not compatible with Mac Pro.
    Nevertheless, they are advertised here http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT2KIT12872AF667

as compatible.

Anyone using this type of memory in their Mac Pro?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What do you mean, "older".

There is a problem - Crucial released a line of FB-DIMMs that turned out to be incompatible with MacPros. They recalled these parts, but dealers may still have stock on them (they do work in certain Intel server machines).

These are characterised by having a flat, metal heatspreader, not the large finned heatsink. (The compatibility problem with the RAM was not related to heat, BTW)

Do not attempt to install the older Crucial modules in a MacPro. If you can find the Kingston KTA-MP667AK2/xxx series, I would get these instead of Crucial.

3. G4DP macrumors 65816

CT579442 is what get when I follow the memory selector. There own system says that this will work.

4. dtancu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you CanadaRAM, that must be the reason.
    When I discussed with Crucial support, they referred to the CT2KIT12872 as the "older models", so I guess you are right.