Crucial memory sold by Amazon and Crucial

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jaguarxl, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Jaguarxl macrumors member

Jaguarxl

I don't know if anyone was wondering about Crucial memory modules for (in my case) imac 27", sold by Amazon and the ones sold directly from Crucial.
    Amazon ones cost $139,99 - part number: CT2C8GT3S160BM

Crucial ones cost $163,99 - part number: CT4951624

I was wondering why directly from crucial are more expensive than Amazon's. I emailed crucial asking about the differences. That's the answer I got:

"The parts you've referenced between the Amazon link and the link to our site are identical, the only difference lies in the part number for Amazon contains a "C"
    for Case Pack rather than the "K" which denotes Kit in our part number."

So, what I understood was this, they are the same memory only changing the part number and amazon's are cheaper!

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I think you should email them again, because there's clearly more difference between those part numbers than a "C" and a "K."

3. Jaguarxl thread starter macrumors member

Jaguarxl

Hmmm... Can you describe plz?

4. cateye macrumors member

cateye

(facepalm)

Why do people go so completely stupid when it comes to memory? I'm not saying the thread starter is doing this (if anything, good for you for noticing the difference instead of just assuming they were different and you had to pay "more" to get the right thing), but it really is not that complicated. There are actually very few types of specifications of memory. Especially with a manufacturer like Apple, with so few differences across its architectures, memory is one of the easiest things to buy.

Compare the specs on the Crucial memory kit on Amazon and the kit on Crucial.com. They are exactly. the. same. Now enter the Crucial.com part number in the Amazon search field. Guess which kit comes up? Now do a search on Crucial.com for memory for a late-2012 iMac instead of a late-2013 iMac (hint: they have the same memory requirements. Exactly the same in every way). Different part numbers, but the specs are the the same and the price is occasionally (but not always) different.

Crucial has multiple inventory systems (in-house, retail, current machines, legacy machines, etc.) to categorize the same memory in different kits and also to price it differently. Memory is a commodity. It is a fungible good and its price is set by individual markets, both on a large and nano scale. It's cheaper on Amazon because people expect to pay less on Amazon. it's more expensive on Crucial.com because people have an expectation they're getting "more" in terms of customer service when buying direct from a manufacturer.

It's all the same, people. Memory is memory.

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Op, do a search with my name. I got the amazon part no confirmed by crucial. On a phone do can't post link. Search the forum though. Standard practice.

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

That Crucial CT2C8G3S160BM memory for $139.99 from Amazon is working perfectly in our Late 2012 27" imac. The Specifications are what matters, and these are well compatible with the iMac.

BTW, I think you've added a T in the part number (after ...8G...). The Amazon number is Crucial CT2C8G3S160BM. When I put your number in, no part comes up on Amazon.

7. Jaguarxl thread starter macrumors member

Jaguarxl

That's why I questioned Crucial about the differences. I couldn't find any difference between Amazon's and Crucial's, beside part numbers and prices. And I think many people still get confused about that.

Ok! I'll look for it! Thanks!

True! Sorry about that! Typo error!