Crucial Memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by duce2777, Jan 23, 2015.

1. duce2777, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

duce2777 macrumors newbie

I called to order 8 more GB of RAM from Crucial but was not sure which one to get. When I contacted Crucial this is what they sent me.

So, CT6045782 references your iMac to base part number CT2K4G3S160BJM, which is high density with 8 chips per module and CT6045784 references CT2K4G3S160BM, which is low density with 16 chips per module. Other than that,they are the same and are equally compaible.

Which one do I need low (16) or high density (8) chip?

Not sure I'm upgrading now but just wanted to know for a possible future upgrade.

Thanks

2. chabig macrumors 68040

If Crucial told you they would both work, they'll both work. Whichever you buy is up to you. (Since they're electrically the same, I'd go with the cheaper of the two. If they're the same price I'd go with the high density because it has fewer parts)

3. eucsstamticc macrumors member

Here is what I purchased. 32gb of RAM.
    [​IMG]
    2-16gb kits... There was only one option.

Now that I think about it you might be able to use a 16gb and 8gb kit and add it too a standard 8gb that comes with it... it would be some Apple RAM and Crucial RAM... not sure if that will work together.... Anyone know? it would save people some money.

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Get the high density modules. Some people have reported issues with the low density.

I had to send my low density back to crucial because I was getting kernel panics. They sent high density back to me and my iMac ran great after that.

5. HighTime macrumors member

I bought some Crucial memory for my iMac, how do I know if they're 'high density' or not?

Thanks.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I concur with this opinion. I bought 16GB of Crucial PC3-12800 DDR3L from Amazon US and was initially shipped the low density version. I, too, experienced kernel panics so I returned it and the high density replacement has been rock solid for the past 11 months I've been using it.

I added 16GB Crucial to the 16GB stock Apple Elpida that I purchased the Mac with. It's best to go with matching pairs but different makes of compatible RAM used together will work fine.

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The low density modules have 16 chips on them. The high density has 8.

8. HighTime macrumors member

Thanks.

9. eucsstamticc macrumors member

Thanks... I received the High Density... :cool:

10. Alesc macrumors 6502

Alesc

I have the 2x4GB Apple modules and 2x8GB Crucial modules in mine (24GB), it works perfectly. :)

11. eucsstamticc macrumors member

That is definitely good to know. It will help others save some money in the future when ordering aftermarket RAM. Apple's RAM is just highway robbery.... even for them.

Thanks for the reply.

12. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

i got mines from amazon believe they might of had less chips on them,had ton of kernel panics sent it to crucial and they sent me replacements haven't had a issue in months

13. split-second macrumors newbie

I received my Crucial 16Gb RAM today for the Imac 5K. (computer is on the way).
    After reading this forum I'm worried if I got the correct one. Have i got the High Density or low density Ram ?
    There seems to be a lot of people having troubles with the low density Ram.

Do I count the chips on both sides ? Mines got 8 on one side and 8 on the other side.

On the Crucial site the pic shows 8 chips on one side : http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/imac-(retina-5k,-27-inch,-late-2014)/CT6313719
    I ordered here : http://www.memoryshop.be/product/309950/crucial-apple-16-gb-sodimm-ddr3-1600-kit-van-2.html

Here's a pic :
    [​IMG]

14. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Those look like the low density BUT, no reason to worry about it. Just go ahead and put them in the iMac. They should work but if you start having issues (like Kernal Panics) have them replaced.