Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I'm in the market for a new ssd. The Samsung 830 is used the rmbp, so clearly it is a great drive. However, the crucial gets good reviews and is about $90 cheaper. Which do you guys recommend?

Also, I have a 2010 mbp 15" and my primary concern is reliability over speed, as I'm stuck with sata II anyway.

Sairo

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
The Netherlands, Almere
I'm in the market for a new ssd. The Samsung 830 is used the rmbp, so clearly it is a great drive. However, the crucial gets good reviews and is about $90 cheaper. Which do you guys recommend?

Also, I have a 2010 mbp 15" and my primary concern is reliability over speed, as I'm stuck with sata II anyway.

Samsung; Faster speeds / more expensive
Crucial; Slower speeds / cheaper

Overall both are good and recommended drives on the forum.
Put your money where your mouth is.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
Samsung; Faster speeds / more expensive
Crucial; Slower speeds / cheaper

Overall both are good and recommended drives on the forum.
Put your money where your mouth is.

Since its sata 2 , would there still be that speed difference?

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010

I'd go with the Samsung 830. Apple is using them in the new models for a reason. The 830 was on a two day sale at Newegg a week or so ago for $189 and they sold out quickly. If you're patient, follow the threads on MR, and check places like Newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect, BuyDig, and B&H regularly you'll find a good deal to rival those being offered on the M4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.