Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Need advise please:

Upgrading my Mac Mini Late 2012 to SSD and looking at a Transcend SSD SATA3 512 gig or Crucial SSD SATA3 512 gig? Will use my 1 TD stock drive as second drive. Each SSD have same specs.

Which drive is better to purchase (about the same price):

Thanks! :)

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Upgrading my Mac Mini Late 2012 to SSD and looking at a Transcend SSD SATA3 512 gig or Crucial SSD SATA3 512 gig...Which drive is better to purchase (about the same price)
Crucial. Crucial is made by Micron and uses Micron NAND. Transcend also uses Micron NAND. Might as well go with the primary manufacturer rather than a secondary assembler.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for the information. Did not know Micron was a vendor for others. Will purchase the Crucial drive. Appreciate the assistance. :cool:

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
i read several comparisons online

and right after samsung, sandisk did pretty well

so i went for Sandisk Extreme Pro instead of Crucial MX550

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Depends on the model in question, they are all different. Crucial MX100 is the best budget choice right now judging by reviews. I would probably get that if I didn't buy a Samsung 850, it uses MLC and doesn't have the firmware issues of the Samsung 840 Evo.

asparagus

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
I performed this upgrade over the weekend and used that exact Crucial drive. I've been very pleased with performance.

One thing that surprised me was that Disk Utility in Yosemite defaulted to making my two drives into a Fusion Drive. It actually popped up during install saying 'Hey, this looks like it should be a Fusion Drive. Set it up that way?" I was very pleased, to say the least.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I bought three Crucial M500s earlier this year. One is in a 2012 MBP and another one is in my new 2012 mini 2.6 quad. The third one became an orphan after I sold my MP.

Last night I installed it in the 2.6. Now I have an almost max mini; a 2012 2.6GHz mini with two 960GB SSDs and 16GB RAM. Since the M500s have been replaced by newer models and since Samsung Pros are a little fast I cannot claim to have the Ultimate mini.

If I can figure out how to RAID 0 them I will.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have a Transcend 128GB SSD in my late 2012 mini and it works great. I've been using it since August when I picked up the mini (after my 2009 mini died) and haven't had any issues at all. I'm sure Crucial is great too, but Transcend is no slouch either in my experience.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I performed this upgrade over the weekend and used that exact Crucial drive. I've been very pleased with performance.

One thing that surprised me was that Disk Utility in Yosemite defaulted to making my two drives into a Fusion Drive. It actually popped up during install saying 'Hey, this looks like it should be a Fusion Drive. Set it up that way?" I was very pleased, to say the least.

When this message about making the drives fusion comes up when installing Yosemite, can you say "No"?

Also, any TRIM issues with Yosemite? I heard there are issues with 3rd party SSD?

Thanks!

DancyMunchkin

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2014
When this message about making the drives fusion comes up when installing Yosemite, can you say "No"? Yes, you can say No.

Also, any TRIM issues with Yosemite? I heard there are issues with 3rd party SSD? True.

Thanks!

See inline.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
When this message about making the drives fusion comes up when installing Yosemite, can you say "No"?

Also, any TRIM issues with Yosemite? I heard there are issues with 3rd party SSD?

Thanks!

The TrimEnabler software disables kext-signing to make itself working again.
I really, really hope that Apple doesn't at some point make it impossible to disable kext-signing.
That would be very bad.

I have a Crucial M500 (480G) SSD and so far no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.