Crucial or Transcend SSD for upgrade Mac Mini Late 2012

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by loby, Nov 11, 2014.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Need advise please:

Upgrading my Mac Mini Late 2012 to SSD and looking at a Transcend SSD SATA3 512 gig or Crucial SSD SATA3 512 gig? Will use my 1 TD stock drive as second drive. Each SSD have same specs.

Which drive is better to purchase (about the same price):

Thanks! :)

2. cinealta macrumors 6502

Crucial. Crucial is made by Micron and uses Micron NAND. Transcend also uses Micron NAND. Might as well go with the primary manufacturer rather than a secondary assembler.

3. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Thanks for the information. Did not know Micron was a vendor for others. Will purchase the Crucial drive. Appreciate the assistance. :cool:

4. macaron95 macrumors regular

i read several comparisons online

and right after samsung, sandisk did pretty well

so i went for Sandisk Extreme Pro instead of Crucial MX550

5. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

Depends on the model in question, they are all different. Crucial MX100 is the best budget choice right now judging by reviews. I would probably get that if I didn't buy a Samsung 850, it uses MLC and doesn't have the firmware issues of the Samsung 840 Evo.

6. asparagus macrumors newbie

I performed this upgrade over the weekend and used that exact Crucial drive. I've been very pleased with performance.

One thing that surprised me was that Disk Utility in Yosemite defaulted to making my two drives into a Fusion Drive. It actually popped up during install saying 'Hey, this looks like it should be a Fusion Drive. Set it up that way?" I was very pleased, to say the least.

7. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I bought three Crucial M500s earlier this year. One is in a 2012 MBP and another one is in my new 2012 mini 2.6 quad. The third one became an orphan after I sold my MP.

Last night I installed it in the 2.6. Now I have an almost max mini; a 2012 2.6GHz mini with two 960GB SSDs and 16GB RAM. Since the M500s have been replaced by newer models and since Samsung Pros are a little fast I cannot claim to have the Ultimate mini.

If I can figure out how to RAID 0 them I will.

8. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I have a Transcend 128GB SSD in my late 2012 mini and it works great. I've been using it since August when I picked up the mini (after my 2009 mini died) and haven't had any issues at all. I'm sure Crucial is great too, but Transcend is no slouch either in my experience.

9. loud0g40oz macrumors member

10. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

When this message about making the drives fusion comes up when installing Yosemite, can you say "No"?

Also, any TRIM issues with Yosemite? I heard there are issues with 3rd party SSD?

Thanks!

11. DancyMunchkin macrumors member

See inline.

12. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

The TrimEnabler software disables kext-signing to make itself working again.
    I really, really hope that Apple doesn't at some point make it impossible to disable kext-signing.
    That would be very bad.

I have a Crucial M500 (480G) SSD and so far no problems.