Crucial Price Rises!!!

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
England
Ok, I thought RAM prices were falling... But I swear that 1GB DIMMs for the iMac G5 used to be £78, but now it's shot up to over £90!!! What's up with that? Ideas anyone :confused:

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
BlizzardBomb said:
Ok, I thought RAM prices were falling... But I swear that 1GB DIMMs for the iMac G5 used to be £78, but now it's shot up to over £90!!! What's up with that? Ideas anyone :confused:
dynamic pricing.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
prices on crucial.com tend to fluctuate. find it at a good price then buy buy buy!

personally for me, i buy RAM from ebay with a good trackrecord for use in Apple computers. the cheaper the better!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Ram is now the commodity. It's like wheat, meat, and etc. Those comanies who are in this market are stuck there because they spent billions on their fabs and cannot sell them on the cheap to get out of the Ram business altogather.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
YS2003 said:
Ram is now the commodity. It's like wheat, meat, and etc.
On that note, I'd like to remind our readers DO NOT EAT your RAM sticks!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Yeah, I got jacked on my last 2GB I bought from Crucial by like 30 bucks. I needed it, and I don't buy from anyone else so....

Joul

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2005
San Diego, CA
it's that dynamic pricing...last week i was looking at some 1 GB CRUCIAL RAM for a pb using FireFox and the RAM cost $218. A couple minutes later I checked CRUCIAL again but using Internet Explorer and the same 1 GB RAM cost $199! very shady...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I just revisited after a reboot, with and without cookies and cache, and history and get the same price from three different browsers...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Which indicates, as you may have guessed, that DDR RAM is rising in price worldwide and is expected to do so through to the end of the year. There are always day to day fluctuations the overall trend will be up.

Dynamic pricing happens on Crucial, but that's not the underlying reason.

For example, Kingston raised their wholesale PowerMac G5 1 Gb prices by 15% at the end of July.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
BlizzardBomb said:
it is called supply and demand. People demand the best and they supply it.
Then there are those of us who shop around and save $30

akm

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
Toronto, ON, Canada
MUCKYFINGERS said:
dynamic pricing.
*nodnods* And it varies by a fair bit in my experience; I'm still holding back on getting memory as I can't afford it just now, but I've been comparing prices at different places and over just the last few days have noticed four different prices on Crucial (not always going higher to lower or lower to higher; just randomly) for 1GB (new iBook RAM):US$ 144.15; 140.07; 135.99; 131.91.

I guess if you end up getting memory from Crucial, as I think as someone in this thread has already said, wait until you get a good price? [And try over a few hours; I tried to get a different price by clearing cookies etc., but that made no difference, tried again two hours later and the price had gone from 131.91 to 144.15.

*shakes head*

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
akm said:
*nodnods* And it varies by a fair bit in my experience; I'm still holding back on getting memory as I can't afford it just now, but I've been comparing prices at different places and over just the last few days have noticed four different prices on Crucial (not always going higher to lower or lower to higher; just randomly) for 1GB (new iBook RAM):US$ 144.15; 140.07; 135.99; 131.91.

I guess if you end up getting memory from Crucial, as I think as someone in this thread has already said, wait until you get a good price? [And try over a few hours; I tried to get a different price by clearing cookies etc., but that made no difference, tried again two hours later and the price had gone from 131.91 to 144.15.

*shakes head*
It does seem that memory prices may be on the raise. I seem to remember $120 for the Samsung memory a few weeks ago on OWC. It is now up to $135. May break down and buy the Techworks or OWC brand at $120.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
It does seem that memory prices may be on the raise. I seem to remember $120 for the Samsung memory a few weeks ago on OWC. It is now up to $135. May break down and buy the Techworks or OWC brand at $120.
I've been looking at RAM prices on Crucial & OWC for both my PowerBook and iMac for the last ~8 months.
I haven't clearly run into a limitation of performance caused by insufficient RAM, so I haven't had the incentive to buy yet.
In that time frame, prices actually went down until approximately May/June, then have slowly trended up.
To give you an example, a 1GB stick from Crucial for a G5 iMac cost $259.99 on 12/18/04, then to a low of $118.44 on 5/28/05 and today is $141.10.
For those of you out there who will cry "Dynamic Pricing," there was an identical trend on the OWC prices. It seems more likely that it reflects the prices of RAM in the whole market.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
AstrosFan said:
I've been looking at RAM prices on Crucial & OWC for both my PowerBook and iMac for the last ~8 months.
I haven't clearly run into a limitation of performance caused by insufficient RAM, so I haven't had the incentive to buy yet.
In that time frame, prices actually went down until approximately May/June, then have slowly trended up.
To give you an example, a 1GB stick from Crucial for a G5 iMac cost $259.99 on 12/18/04, then to a low of $118.44 on 5/28/05 and today is $141.10.
For those of you out there who will cry "Dynamic Pricing," there was an identical trend on the OWC prices. It seems more likely that it reflects the prices of RAM in the whole market.

Thanks for the work you did in tracking prices.

The issue is that is the past (and maybe even now) Crucial used dynamic web based pricing. This is proved by posts here. Crucial to my knowledge has neither confirmed or denied that they used this tactic. It is more a sin of omission. At least with OWC, most of have reported at the same point in time, the same pricing. Crucial could offer me the same RAM right now for $20 less, and I would not buy since I feel that the next browser could end up $5 to 10 less.; all based on web browsing. IMO it is different if you called and got a better price through negotiating a better deal.

What a company offers on the web to one, should be the same to all.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Chip NoVaMac,
I wasn't trying to imply that Crucial does or does not use dynamic pricing.
I was responding to your correct observation that prices have been going up lately, which I had also observed.
I did want to point out, though, that prices did decline in the first part of this year.
I think the issue of Crucial's pricing scheme is an entirely separate issue, and as you stated, a not-entirely-aboveboard business tactic.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I buy all my RAM from newegg.com

I usually use crucials site to verify exactly what i need then i go to newegg and find the cheapest price. I got two 1GB sticks with heatspreads for about $210 and have not had a problem with them. The brand was PQI if i remember right

Althought if you do get RAM for an iMac G5 do not get them with heatspreaders, they are a pain to get in with them on. They look cool but a pain.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
England
It's now almost at £100 and places like offtek.co.uk and dabs.com/uk are following with price rises too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.