Crucial RAM issue - 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hin3sy, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Hin3sy macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I finally got my 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    2.2 i7
    glossy hi-res display
    4gb RAM
    500GB @7200 HD

This thing is an absolute beast, but I bought this RAM from newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148345

and it had some problems.

I popped the old RAM out and put in the new stuff and the computer wouldn't boot up, instead it would beep 3 times, so I tried over and over again to make sure that I had the RAM seated well enough and I was able to get the RAM to boot up and be recognized by the computer once, but when I was restoring from my Time Machine backup, the screen flashed and showed me a purple block pattern. SO I took the 8gb ram out and put in the original stuff from apple and the computer is working fine.

So, my issue is, is that ram that I posted above compatible? and do you think it was just bad RAM? I found it odd that it booted and was recognized, but then froze up like that. The issue was definitely with the RAM, I just want to know if it was just bad or if it was compatible.

It's no huge issue, as the computer is working fine, but I've already put in my RMA to newegg and will be hoping to get a new set of RAM sticks next week. please help.

Thanks

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I would just chalk it up to bad ram. Is there a possibility you shocked it with some static electricity while installing it? That can fry ram. My recommendation is to get everything you need at the table you're doing the switch on. Then sit down the chair, touch your computer casing somewhere to ground yourself and get rid a static charge. Then take apart your computer, perform the switch, and put it back together. You don't want to shock any of those parts.

3. Hin3sy thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't believe that I may have transferred any static electricity, I remembered to touch a something metal before I went in, but I could be wrong. It seemed like one of the sticks may had just been bad, but I wanted to get some opinions before I opened up my computer again only to switch out for incompatible ram. Thanks for your help