Crucial RealSSD C300 SSD in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sbowen67, Dec 18, 2010.

1. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I use OWC SSD that I love. Just note that MBP's DO NOT have SATA III they are SATA II so you will get the 3.0GBs speeds, not the 6.0 speeds.

Also it does not have a sandforce controller, which I like. But it is crucial, and they have some great stuff.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Since OSX does not support TRIM just yet, you really need a Sandforce based SSD, since these TRIM on-the-fly - otherwise your drive will noticeably start to slow down over time. Only Windows 7 supports TRIM at the moment.

I have a Vertex 2 SSD - 240GB.

Here is a video of the install and initial testing......
    Vertex 2 SSD

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've heard Crucials suffer from heavy degradation without TRIM. It's good for Windows but since OS X does not support TRIM as of yet, get an SSD with better firmware, such as SandForce based drive.

4. BetaBee macrumors newbie

here are my xbench scores. i have a macbook pro 15" with i5 and c300. no other upgrades. 4-8hrs of use a day. mild music and torrent downloading.

Attached Files:

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

Correct. Only windows 7 currently supports TRIM. Not sure why Apple hasn't caught up with this yet.
    The older indilinx controller based drives suffer from slowdowns and degradation. The sandforce based drives are a little more expensive but the firmware in the drives TRIM automatically whenever the drive is idle, thus keeping speeds nice and high.

6. Sbowen67 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

that video of the ssd perfomance is amazing! I would love to have one, if the price would come down just a little.........

8. Ifti macrumors 68000

They aren't cheap at all! That's why most people tend to go for the smaller drives to place only the OS and applications on it, then place their actual data either on an external HDD or on a HDD in an optibay. Nonetheless, as you can see from my video above the performance is pretty substantial (not sure if you watched part 2, since the performance gets even better once the drive has 'settled in' a little)

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

You won't be disappointed! I always only ever recommend the Vertex 2 or the Mercury Extreme. Solid performers and great for the mac.