Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFP56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I have a late 2012 iMac 27" with 16GB RAM.

I called Crucial with the notion of buying a 16GB kit to pump up to 32.

The tech rep said that they don't guarantee that the new RAM will play nicely with the old.

She suggested I purchase 32GB. :(

Is this a real issue ?

Thanks in advance !

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Lot's of people mix RAM. As long as the new is the same spec as the existing, you shouldn't have issues.

Get the 16GB kit and run a through memory test after installation (Google 'Rember').

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I have a late 2012 iMac 27" with 16GB RAM.

I called Crucial with the notion of buying a 16GB kit to pump up to 32.

The tech rep said that they don't guarantee that the new RAM will play nicely with the old.

She suggested I purchase 32GB. :(

Is this a real issue ?

Thanks in advance !

I too have a Late 2012 27" iMac. I left in the 8GB ram Apple installed and purchased 16GB from Crucial to give me 24 GB of ram in total, and it works with no issues.

As long as the new ram is the same spec as the existing ram then it should work.

Also run Crucial's System Scanner. This downloads a little application what scans your system and shows you the correct ram for your machine.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/MacOS.aspx

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The answer is yes and no.

There are* differences between various makes of RAM from latency to chip arrangements. Most often, it doesn't present a real problem but at the same time, the use of RAM will be only as good as the weakest player. In the real world, most wouldn't find a real difference between all the same and mixed (assuming the RAM sticks play nice together).

DaveFP56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Thank you

Appreciate the responses. I will just order a set.

Thanks again!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I've mixed RAM twice on two different iMacs (a 2011 and a 2012 model), and both are still working fine to this day, with the mixed RAM.

the one time i did have an issue is when Crucial sent me a defective RAM module and I was getting kernel panics all over the place. Turns out Memtest86+ (which Rember is a graphical front-end for) couldn't find any trouble, but Apple Hardware test did. Crucial replaced the bad module under warranty and all was well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.