Crucial SSD Installation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Standard, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Standard macrumors regular

Hi guys my 16GB of RAM and my SSD should be arriving any minute from Amazon.

This is quoted from my RAM thread.

Now what do I do if I already have OS X Mavericks installed and need to make a bootable drive for the SSD?

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

You could just use internet recovery. Hold down command + r when you're booting the computer up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Of course, you'll have to upgrade to 10.9 after you do this.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Do exactly as I told you in that thread. Go into the App Store, select OS X Mavericks and download it. It will toss up a warning message saying that you already have it installed. Dismiss it, and the download will start. While it's downloading, format your USB thumb drive using Disk Utility to OS X extended journaled, keeping the name of the drive Untitled. Once the download completes, close the App Store, open up Terminal, and copy the commands from that other MacRumors thread I linked to in your other thread. The drive will take about 15 minutes to create. When it done, swap out your hard drive, put the USB installer in, power on your system and hold the alt/option key at the gray screen, select your USB drive, and off you go.

4. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks guys. I have to go get a mini screwdriver set now. I will keep y'all posted on my progress.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Check Lowe's if you have one nearby. You'll need Phillips #00 (000 will work as well) and Torx T6.

6. Standard, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

Standard thread starter macrumors regular

I will go check in my shop I have a full Torx set and Phillips for engines but I don't remember if they go that small. Haha.

Edit: Score, had them in the shop.

7. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Everything installed with a breeze. I am typing from this laptop now. One thing I'm sure didn't help performance was the amount of dust inside the laptop. I blew the compressed air probably 1 minute on each fan and it was just coming out like a dust bowl.

The speed is noticeable. I have not done much of anything other than login to here, I am doing some fresh installs. Time will tell but I'm liking it so far.

Do you guys think if I run this MBP connected to my 24" monitor it will be okay for the video card?

Cheers!