Crucial SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patdt13, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about upgrading my 13' MBP, I was thinking about getting the opti-bay thing, and get one of the Crucial SSD for my boot drive, then, get the 4 gigs of ram to. Is Crucial a good brand?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

There are a lot of Crucial SSDs. I'm not sure which you're referencing. If you're talking about the newest one, the Crucial RealSSD C300, then the initial numbers show that this thing is a screamer. However, there are a couple firmware bugs right now. I'd hold off until these are fixed, with the OCZ being the other good option right now. You can read about the bug here.

3. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I might avoid the RealSSD C300 for a bit, or heck perhaps any of the sandforce ones, until they fix them.

There's been reports of firmware corruption/bricking and really slow performance with trim from anand, and a few other places.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3779

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I ordered several memory upgrades from them without any problem. I do not know how good their SSD's are.
    Be sure to look for their best price, they track your computer and if you are a returning customer they charge more than when you are new. I always look at their prices from several computers.

5. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

If you also read the article, it describes how TRIM have issues with this kind of ssd drives, looks like we will have to wait a little more to get the best performance without the fear of data loss...

6. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Okay guys which SSD would you go with for the moment ? The Intel X-25M G2 is kind of like the "reference" when it comes to SSDs but its write speed is a meagre 70 MB/sec compared to much higher speeds like 200 MB/sec of the Crucial M225. Advice ?

7. John Kotches macrumors 6502

How often are you doing large sequential transfers where the speed difference would be relevant?

8. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

You're right. I might be biased as an intel SSD owner but take a look at what you're asking for a second.

On a typical macbook pro... When will you actually use over 70mb/sec sequentially? USB? Hah... Firewire? Even that caps out at near 90mb/sec, and you'd have to have a source that could put out that much data continuously. The internal DVD doesn't read nearly that fast, so you'd need an optibay to really take advantage of 200mb/second read

The intel x25m has incredible random read/write performance, which is most of what people usually do and notice day to day. Sequential stuff is nice for say... backing up an entire hard disk or volume, but I haven't really missed it. Most install processes do alot of small files, which the intel drive is very good at.

The intel drive is also pretty stable now in terms of firmware and bugs.

The next gen intel drives will have better write, but I don't regret my purchase at all. fast random i/o and great read speeds. Write speeds are actually pretty fantastic too for most things. I don't have really any devices that can put data on any faster anyways.

9. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Not often I must say. I'm a photographer by profession, programs I need to use most are Aperture, Adobe CS4, Pixelmator and such (not counting in the usual stuff like mail and web-browsing). Occasionally I listen to music on iTunes, watch movies but the graphics work I need to do are quite hardcore. Big files, takes a lot of RAM, long working hours.

That's actually very helpful, thank you. This is exactly what I'm looking for, feedback from people who have really experienced these SSDs. Honestly speaking, I have no clue (yet) on what to get. I don't know what sequential read / write does. But yes, have heard highly about the Intel G2 SSDs. I have three time machine backups on three different locations but they're outside the computer's internal HDD. Does that count ?

10. John Kotches macrumors 6502

How big is "big" in this context? A 13 megapixel still image is 39MB in size for RAW. Will you notice the difference between ~1/2 and ~1/5th of a second? Are you streaming a bunch of files sequentially. Gfx is separate from file transfer.

I don't know what's right for you -- I'm just asking the questions I think are germane to the decision.

Me? I'm using a G.Skill Titan which is overkill for me. I originally had it on a PeeCee, but I wanted to move the investment over. Frankly, I could get away with a mechanical drive but it is tough to do so after you've experienced an SSD as your boot / apps drive.

I'm waiting for the 256GB models to get down to the $300 range after which I will have 2 bays of SSD goodness in my machine. Should make Parallels virtuals fly :)

Cheers,

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

My 160 GB G2 intel writes at around 100 mb/sec for bigger blocks. I don't often take advantage of sequential writes though, but the write speed was bumped from 70 to 100 in the latest FW update for the 160 gb model. However, as mentioned above, its random read performance is why it's such fast drive. Plus it's rock solid in terms of stability (had one for months now), and works great with boot camp and anything else I throw at it. FWIW, I highly recommend it (as a previous OCZ Vertex owner which had double the write speed of my intel but also crapped out after 5 months and constantly caused my macbook pro to hard lock upon waking it from sleep.)

Sequential write and read speeds are really easy for companies to point to as a marketing tool to sell drives. But few tasks are done in that way making random reads/writes much more indicative of how the drive is going to perform on every day tasks.

12. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Thanks again John. :) They're quite big, I need to work with files north of 35 MBs at times. Having layers on PS make some of them as big as 500 MBs. Had one question, will any SSD available today show better performance than a 7200.11 HDD ?

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yes, but some will suffer from write performance degradation and they can end up slower than a traditional HDD at sequential writing tasks. But any SSD is going to have vastly better read speeds than an HDD.

14. albertwigs macrumors newbie

I ordered several memory upgrades from them without any problem. I do not know how good their SSD's are.I like post very much as it is good process.Be sure to look for their best price, they track the concern computer.

15. Patdt13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was planning on getting the 64 GB one, cause its just going to be for the boot drive for 10.6, which if i remember correctly is only like 16 GB of HD space? Is this a good idea. With the optibay in i was going to put in like a 640 HD hard drive, or maybe even the 1 TB one.

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

A couple VMs open at the same time, running some server software, downloading files. Could hit that fairly easily - tiz a typical workday for me!

17. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Got the 160GB Intel SSD for the Misses, in her 13" UniMP and she loves the noticeable speed difference in day to day use. Figured a reliable SSD is better then a super fast unproven one for her.

I got the 256GB C300 for myself but have not put it to use yet. Waiting on two things before I start using it. First would be a firmware update by Crucial to address known issues (Firmware should be out sometime April) and secondly the refresh of the MBP line to replace my current one.