Crucial UK will have 800MHz FB-DIMMs on Thursday

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gonk42, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

I just had a web chat with Crucial UK re when the New mac pro's memory will be available. They told me that it will be in tomorrow and ready to buy on Thursday.

It is not going to be cheap though:

2GB kit is £159:99 + VAT

4GB kit is £285:99 + VAT

If you want more info contact Crucial.

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

very expensive, makes me glad i went with apple ram!:eek:

3. casw1000 macrumors member

:mad: Thats a blatent rip-off. Ok so I state the obvious, but how on earth does someone as reputable as Crucial justify this. Their own US 4GB kit is $579, however the DDR667 4GB is £160.

I think I will just import from OWC or similar. Last time I looked 4x2 is $429, plus shipping and tax. Even if we paid VAT on the import duty it would still save a fortune. DAMN dissapointing.

-casw1000
    fold4life.com

4. deathshrub macrumors 6502

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

thats VERY expensive - but i suppose they are the only seller in the UK at the moment.

OWC sell the same thing for almost 1/2 that price.

I'm gonna have to make a list of things to buy and take a trip over to the US and get them all in one go! UK prices are getting silly - the economy is going to take a turn and prices like this will have to fall - people/small busniesses won't be able to afford these expensive luxuries like 16/32GB RAM.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I bought from OWC a couple of weeks back - and I now have an extra 4GB happily working in my Pro.

OWC are a classy operation - they kept me up to date, they packed the RAM well, and included detailed fitting instructions. The sticks are well made, and the size of the heatsinks is impressive.

I'd strongly recommend OWC.

7. myalene macrumors newbie

That's daylight robbery:eek:
    I bought 8Gig kit from OWC last week for less that they are selling 4Gig kit.

8. Gonk42 thread starter macrumors 6502

The RAM is now up on the site, or at least it was half up when I checked just now - a strange mixture of the normal Sorry notice and the new RAM prices (which are unfortunately those that I put in my original post).

9. rds macrumors regular

It's cheaper to buy 8GB from OWC including delivery and VAT.

10. peejack macrumors 6502a

Bloody hell im glad I didn't wait too. I got 2x2gb (4GB) from OWC for under £150 INCLUDING tax.

11. peejack macrumors 6502a

BTW that £187.99 for 2GB and £336.04 for 4GB as most people will pay VAT.

12. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

it's very expensive - 2GB will give your MP a kick but it's not exactly going to change the way you use the computer.

Would it more beneficial to use 8GB of 667MHz RAM as opposed to 2GB of 800MHz RAM?

13. peejack macrumors 6502a

I brought 2x2gb from owc and added it to the stock 2 so now I have 6gb and it's more than i could want. Im using Logic professionally and it's just great.

14. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Just bought 8GB from OWC. International shipping to the UK. Even with import duty (if I'm unlucky enough to get stiffed on it by some snooty twonk at Customs), it's still much, much lower than Crucial or www.mrmemory.co.uk.

15. rds macrumors regular

You will be charged standard (17.5%) VAT. There is no duty on computer parts.

16. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Wow, crucial prices really make OWC look like a bargain.

Does anyone know whether 8 matched 1GB modules would perform any differently to 8GB of various mixed brands of matched pairs of 1GB modules?

17. G4DP macrumors 65816

Don't get conned

Crucial are taking the pish!

I'm getting 8GB Kingstom RAM kit for around £300 inc V.A.T from a UK supplier.

So crucial can go and swivel!

18. Gonk42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you say which UK supplier please.

19. G4DP macrumors 65816

Gonk, i'll post all details once i've got the stuff working.

Yes it's a bit selfish, but if I posted the stuff and you guys weren't able to get any i'd never hear the end of it. Also i'd like to be able to say the stuff works fully before hand.

20. Gonk42 thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds sensible.

The huge price differences between OWC, Crucial, Apple give me the impression that the market is in a lot of flux at the moment. I think I will hang on a bit and see if Crucial's prices drop and other suppliers come onstream in the UK. It seems slightly mad that Crucials price for 667MHz FB-DIMMS (4GB) is £135 whilst for 800MHz stuff it is £336 a factor of almost 2.5 times!

What I find interesting is that Crucial's US prices are similar yet they are more directly competing with OWC in that market. Are they selling anything?

21. G4DP macrumors 65816

I'll find out exact details on Monday or Tuesday when I go in and order and pay for it. Will PM you the details when all is confirmed.

22. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Ouch, super-pricey at Crucial. And they can't even tell
    you what type of heat-spreader you'll get for that heap
    of cash.

23. Beardy man macrumors regular

I've been a Crucial customer (biz and private) for the last, oooh lots of years, at least six or seven.

This time, either I'll wait and see what happens in the next month or go OWC International. One things for sure, at the current prices Crucial have posted in the UK, I ain't biting.

24. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

If you've got a new Mac Pro then you have to use the 800mhz Sticks

25. dogbait macrumors regular

That's not actually true. According to barefeats 667mhz sticks work just fine and the performance drop is minor.