Crucial v4 with 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BizRunner, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BizRunner macrumors member

BizRunner

So I have been looking around for a SSD, and I am interested by Crucial's offerings. I had been looking at the m4, but now that the v4 has been released I feel as if it is the better fit for my older machine.

Any thoughts?

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Does the MBP 2009 have SATA III?

3. BizRunner thread starter macrumors member

BizRunner

Yes it has the NVidia MCP79 AHCI and NVidia MCP79 AHCI with link speeds of 3GB. That is what you mean, correct?

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

SATA III is 6GB. The new Crucial SSD is for SATA II connections, which is 3GB. Since you have 3GB (SATA II), this new SSD is perfect for your computer. I was just wondering what connections you had because if you had SATA III connections then I was going to recommend the G4 model. The G4 has backwards compatibility but you will still get the same read/write speeds as a SATA II connection.

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Which means he can do a lot better than a Crucial V4 if he does his homework.

The V4's controller is a Phison PS3105. Here's a review of another SSD that used a similar controller... better yet, let's just cut to the chase right now: don't buy this.

6. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Good advice!. For MBP 2008-2010 models with Nvidia MCP chips, only Crucial M4 models and OCZ Vertex 3 works reliably. People need to understand that they need to UPDATE the firmware to the right version BEFORE installing. This usually means sticking it into a Desktop PC and get the firmware updated before installing in the Mac!.

My Vertex 3 rocks on Late-08 MBP, boots 16s, wakes in 4 s, sleeps instantly. Reads 262MBytes/s, writes 162 MB/s uncompressible data.

7. Lounge Deluxe macrumors regular

I have a Plextor M3 installed in my 17" MBP early 2009 and it works flawless so OP don't limit your choice to just an M4 or Vertex 3.

8. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

The Samsung 830 works good as well. I have the same MPB-model as OP.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Should be getting my m4 in today!

So, clean install with recovery partition on 2011 MBP....and then use carbon copy cloner to move apps and other junk?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you don't want to hassle with a clean install, CCC will actually move the Recovery HD and OS along with all your data onto the new drive if you have done a full clone.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, doing that now. I've just heard so many people post that this method is more likely to cause problems or performance degradation.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your Mac is working fine now it should continue to work the same on a new drive that is cloned.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm in the middle (technically, 2/3 of the way) of the cloning. Anything other advice? Figure I'll boot off it while it's still in the external drive to check it out before I put it in the machine...

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Only thing you need to do after the swap is go into System Pref and Startup Disk then select the new drive as the startup volume then restart.