Crucial vs. OWC: what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sturob, Feb 12, 2008.

1. sturob macrumors regular

I've bought RAM from Crucial in the past with zero problems. I've got an 8-core MP on order (delivery first week in March) and I've been trying to watch the memory market to get an idea of, well, what to expect price-wise.

OWC is currently selling 2x2GB of "qualified" RAM for $220. The same thing (or is it?) is $580 from Crucial.

So, um . . . why would I get the Crucial? Not that I want to pay going-on-three-times as much.

Stuart

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There appears to be no reason to go with crucial from a technical standpoint.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You wouldn't. Get it from OWC. I've bought RAM from both places and I've never been dissapointed.

4. sturob thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I figured there might have been something in the fine print I was missing, but that was my impression. I read in another thread that Crucial UK was similarly extraordinarily expensive with 800MHz RAM over yonder.

Hmm.

Stuart

5. smogsy macrumors 6502a

crucial use lower latency memory (faster response) they also have lifetime warranty... and more reputable. plus you get 48 hour replacement (mine arrived in 36 hours)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No. Both are CL=5.

So does OWC.

Says who? OWC has a great rep here. I gave up buying from Crucial once their dynamic pricing games were discovered. The fact that they're much more expensive than OWC or DMS makes buying from them an even worse idea.

Haven't ever had an OWC stick fail on me, but I've heard that's about their turnaround time as well.

7. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

My OWC RAM is doing fine in the new MP. I'll buy more from them for sure.

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Because you've never heard of OWC.

Or, because you're easily swayed by advertising. Case in point:

9. smogsy macrumors 6502a

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I regularly buy from crucial, as there isn't anybody else in the UK with the same quality / price mix.

In the USA, you're lucky to have OWC. Get your RAM from them instead of paying 3x for Crucial.

Even $220 for desktop ram seems expensive. I bought last month 4GB (2x2GB) matched macbook RAM from Crucial UK for around £58 inc all taxes and delivery.

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I didn't realize there wasn't any alternative for UK Mac users!

In the US, Crucial probably wouldn't even be in my Top 10 RAM Dealer choices.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Good point. So if you buy from OWC, buy 3 of every memory stick. And you can replace it without the long 36 hour wait.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I used to buy (and recommend) Crucial, but have left them for OWC. Crucial is great - great RAM, great service, great website (if you need help finding your RAM). But the price sucks, and OWC is just as good on quality and warranty.