Cruise - Does Home Streaming require an internet connection???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ftaok, May 11, 2012.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, so we're going on a cruise in the summertime and I'm going to be bringing our iPad2 (wifi) and my Hackbook along with us. I will be loading the iPad with some kids movies and cartoons for distracting the kids when we need it, but I figure we'll use the iPad for movies for my wife and I as well. Since I don't want to fill the iPad up, I figure I can stream the movies from the Hackbook to the iPad.

I've confirmed that I can create an ad-hoc network using my laptop and the iPad can connect to it and Home Stream movies. Now here's my question.

Does Home Stream need a connection to the Internet from time to time? I ask, because the Home Streaming account/password is the same as the AppleID. So does iTunes call home from time to time? For the record, I won't be streaming anything with Fairplay on it ... just my DVD rips.

It would be such a drag to get everything set up on the ship and then realize that we can't stream since we don't have an internet connection on the boat.

NOTE - I'm very thrifty (OK, I'm flat out cheap) and the internet connection is very pricey. I won't pay out of principle ... and I'm cheap too.

Thanks.

ft

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Easy enough to try at home. Unplug your router.

3. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

I've already confirmed that it'll work without an internet connection. I was able to set-up an ad-hoc network with my laptop. The laptop was not connected to the internet.

So it'll work. I'm trying to confirm whether or not the Home Sharing connection will continue to work. Basically, I'd like to figure out if iTunes needs to check in with the servers every so often.

There were some posts regarding the aTV2 needing an internet connection to work, even with Home Sharing. Can't remember what the official word was on that.

ft

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think I've had it work with no internet connection and just a local connection running, but I don't know if it has to phone home every now and then. I don't think it does, but I can't confirm.

It's a lot like HomeGroups in Windows sharing media. It's a shared library.