Cruises...Share your experiences!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Miguey, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Miguey macrumors 6502

Who's been on one? A couple of me and my friends wanna go on a cruise, however we're stumped haha..on pricing and age restrictions. But we'll get past that..

How were your guys' and gals' experiences on them? Where'd you travel to? It seems like a fun summer thing to do!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Never been, always wanted to go, will most likely never get to go.
    A year ago I would have thought differently but today ... nope.

I hear they're fun though.

3. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

We were very close to booking a mexican cruise. Funding however, prohibited :(. Maybe someday soon.

This thread needs some cool pictures though! :)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I've been on several. Great fun, lots to do. Well worth it in my opinion.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I've done a few Caribbean cruises. They were good fun, and the places we stopped at were interesting.

However, I've seen enough of the Caribbean, so if I were to go there again, I would prefer a resort vacation in one location over a cruise- I find it much more relaxing to be in one place for the entire time.

I am planning on taking a Mediterranean cruise sometime in the near future. I think that would be a good way to see some of Europe. I wouldn't be going on the cruise to relax though- it would be a touring/sightseeing trip.

6. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I've been on two: One to Mexico and one to Alaska.

Great fun (Mexico one was more fun as the crowd was younger), food is included, areas for adults-only, shows & entertainment, etc.

If I had some extra vacation time, I'd go on another one as the prices are pretty low.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I've been on a couple...I personally think it's one of the best vacations you can take. Very relaxing, lots of fun stuff to do, if you get too wasted you can stumble back to your room :) Also, depending where you go, it forces you to separate yourself from reality...no computers, no cell phone reception...kind of nice.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I didn't find the whole cruise ship experience all that great. It's a great value, no doubt (factoring transportation, lodging and food) it's much cheaper than the alternative. What makes or breaks a cruise, IMO, are the ports it stops at. Pretty much all I did was ate and ate and ate and ate and slept. The shows weren't all that interesting for me. There was lots of gambling, but I don't gamble.:p

Did I mention the food? It's worth the price of admission.;) Not exactly 4 stars, but it's good and plenty. I had fun ordering everything on the menu.:eek: And I finished it all too.:eek::eek::eek: I must have gained 5 pounds in 3 days.:eek:

9. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Short cruise to Bermuda with family

During hurricane season 2008. D'oh.

Spent half the cruise in bed to prevent sickness. Watched Shrek III and Bourne Supremacy 4 times each on in room TV.

But when the waters were calm, the view of nothingness was wonderful, with the seabreeze.

Wild to watch huge waves during dinner. I could see them, but not feel them. The boat said no. :D

Don't think I'd do it again, unless I was with someone special.

10. MTI macrumors 65816

11. ghostee macrumors 6502

We took one to the Caribbean last year on Royal Caribbean and loved it. Had a great time hitting up the buffet, bar, and sitting around the pool on the boat. Sitting on the balcony at night while your cruising and looking out into pitch blackness was quite impressive.

Next time I think I'd want more time at sea (we only spent 1 day), and to skip the formal dinner night in lieu of more buffet.

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

The wife said she wanted to do a cruise and I just went along with it because I'm that kind of husband. I expected to hate it. Loved it. Fantastic. Even took the kids and still had a great time.

Went to the Caribbean and can't wait to get back. Then we went to Bermuda and Alaska. Best vacations of my life. Two Royal Caribbeans and one Celebrity. Celebrity had better food, but the RC ships were larger and had more to do.

mt

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

About a year and a half ago I took an eight day cruise with my wife down to Mexico. We absolutely loved it. The food was fantastic, we met a lot of great people, and had a wonderful time.

My recommendation - upgrade to a room with a balcony or deck. We spent a lot of time lounging out there with nothing but a bottle of wine and the sounds of the water to keep us company. Sometimes it's nice to get away from everyone, and that was how we managed to do so, without feeling like we were holed up in our stateroom.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've been on three one to Alaska, a Mediterranean cruise, and a Baltic Cruise. They are a lot of fun. I'd recommend getting a room with a window or balcony if you can afford it.

15. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

never been on one, and most likely won't be on one til im like 40-50 yrs old:( the main cause right now, is my folks have never tried a cruise and they most likely never will. But, i've always wanted t go on one but even if i had the funds, what fun is it going on one alone?

16. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Loved it. Did a six day trip and really wasn't prepared for dressing formal at dinner but hey, it was a vacation. Food was great. You definitely eat and eat and eat. I'd agree with others, if you can upgrade to a room with a balcony of sorts, do it.

Also, be prepared to tip. All your servers/helpers/maids throughout your stay expect a tip. At least that's the pressure I noticed.

17. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Did a quick 3-day cruise to Mexico earlier this year. It was on Carnival, which is definitely more of a "budget" cruise line. It's also a bit of a party boat - lots of bachelortte parties, birthday parties, etc. It was a lot of fun - food is plentiful and edible - some of it very good, some very bad (mainly the buffet stuff). The formal dinners were quite nice - the food was great. Not a ton to do on the ship - limited shopping, but plenty of places to buy a drink, which was all I really cared about :D

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I always wanted to go on a cruise, but I get motion sickness pretty easily. It would suck being stuck on a ship for a week like that and not enjoying any of it. :eek:

19. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I have been on 2, both to Mexico. The 1st was a 7 day cruise that my wife was very keen to do, but I wasn't. And last year we did a 4 day one. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Outstanding value for money, very relaxing and enjoyable. I highly recommend doing it at least once. Here's a pic of my youngest son when we stopped over in Ensenada.

Attached Files:

20. vniow macrumors G4