Crumpler Bag Advice/Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Deefuzz, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Hey all, it's been a while since I had posted but I was looking for a tiny bit of help/advice.

I recently purchased a Tucano sleeve for my 15.4" Macbook Pro, and now I am looking for a bag to put it all in.

I know that Crumpler comes highly recommended around these parts and I was finding some interest in the Dreadful Embarrassment: http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=5

By looking at the specs it says there is a built in laptop sleeve in these bags, and gives the dimensions as: 15.4x10.2x1.6" (for the sleeve). But then the specs go on to say that the bag not only works with the 15" PowerBook & MacBook Pro, but also the 17" PowerBook & MacBook Pro.

So since the sleeve dimensions seem a bit small for a 17" Powerbook is this built in sleeve removable?

I would really like to use the Dreadful embarrassment WITH my Tucano sleeve, so if that could fit into the built in sleeve that would work, but if the sleeve is removably that would also work.

Can anyone help me out who may have this bag let me know if it is possible to do what I want here?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Depends on how thick the sleeve is. You can measure it out. And see if it'll work.

The 17" is 15.4" wide (17" diagonal) so the bag is made to the fit that model snuggly. There's some room left over with the MBP 2.9" and .6" and my guess is that the .6" is where it won't fit.

I don't have the bag and can't tell you for sure.

3. Deefuzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Ah, ok...I wasn't really thinking clearly on that one, so the built in sleeve would be wide enough.

Any one out there using their own sleeve with one of these Crumpler bags?

4. zechmann macrumors member

5. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Are these decent bags? There's selling them here for $20cdn on sale.

6. Winterfell macrumors regular

I have absolutely no regrets from buying a Crumpler. I have a 15" MPB, so I got the Part and Parcel and really find it to be quite a nice bag.

The included laptop sleeve is indeed built-in, so you cannot remove it without performing surgery on the bag. :eek:

I can't say for 100% certainty that it would be the same for the Dreadful Embarrassment, but I would hazard a guess with 99% certainty. :D

7. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i have an icase sleeve as well as a tucano bag. the bag doesnt require a sleeve because its a perfect fit. the sleeve is great for any other bag. for the OP, i would buy the crumpler, and interchange the sleeve every now and then. its nice to have options.

btw crumpler website is wacky, at least it was last year.

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

crumpler website is a style, a whacky style, but a style.

Crumpler makes a bag with a removable laptop case - the Sticky Date. But they don't sell it in the States. =/

I may buy one in Europe if I have the money.

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

Quite a few Crumpler bags do have removable sleeves - but it tends to be their backpacks and more expensive and/or larger messenger bags. If I had to guess, I would say it's built-in with the DE.

I like Crumpler a lot, but this instance I would advise going with one of their bags aimed specifically at 17" laptops. The DE sleeve will be a tight squeeze (but probably ok) for a 17" and I don't think there's much chance of it accommodating the Tucano sleeve as well.

10. bigiffo macrumors member

11. Deefuzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Thanks for the input all. I went with the Crumpler since it's sleeve was to fit a 17" MBP and I have a 15" I figured I would be alright using my sleeve with the bag. It was a success. I actually took some photos of everything to possibly help anyone out in the future who may be in this same situation:

[​IMG]
    MBP + Tucano sleeve

[​IMG]
    An example of some of my bag contents

[​IMG]
    The Crumpler bag (The Dreadful Embarrassment)

[​IMG]
    The bag open and empty, there is a front zippered pocket, and smaller pocket separations inside across from the laptop sleeve compartment. Also a small pen holder/zip pocket attached to the laptop sleeve compartment.

[​IMG]
    The laptop inside the sleeve fits snug in the Crumpler's built in laptop sleeve, and the velcro strap to keep it secure still fits just fine over the laptop

[​IMG]
    Entire contents displayed above with a few extra items tucked away in pockets (chargers and such) with room to spare.

So hopefully that helps someone out in the future when they do a forum search. I really dig the bag alot, my one issue is there is no handle to grip it from when you are putting on the bag or taking it off. It just might be a case of getting used to it, I am used to having a top handle to grab onto while adjusting a shoulder strap on or off of your shoulder.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!