Crumpler bag, fold-away desk, cooling pad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lisharts, Sep 1, 2010.

1. lisharts macrumors member

This might seem a bit random... I will be ordering my macbook pro 15" this saturday. However there are some accessories I really need to pick up before it arrives.

Firstly I need a bag for it. I was reading through some posts here today with lots of suggestions on brands of bags. The ones that caught my eye were crumpler bags. Does anyone have any experience of these, are they of a decent quality and if so could you recommend one that would be suitable for the MBP 15"?

Secondly each weekend I will be taking this laptop to my boyfriend's house. We'd really like to play some games together but I need some way of setting it up in his hallway. Does anyone own anything like a fold-away laptop table/desk and know where I could find one? It would need to be smallish, just big enough for me to stand the laptop on and have a mouse plugged in. I'm not really sure such a thing exists and my google searches haven't turned up anything suitable but perhaps I'm searching on the wrong terms. The important bit is being able to fold it away after and stick it in a cupboard somewhere.

Lastly I was going to pick up a cooling pad for home use. Are there any relatively silent ones that are still effective? I don't want to be plagued with noise but at the same time there's no point in me buying one that doesn't really do the job.

If anyone can help on any one of these I'd really appreciate the input. Thanks!

2. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Crumpler makes some awesome bags! I have used them for my camera gear and they are just great!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. CW Jones macrumors 6502

O ya... that should have been my question too lol

The "set up in the hallway" throws me off too... Why not just sit at the kitchen table? Does he make you stay in the hall or something?

5. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

The cooling pad - my room gets quite warm through the day whilst working, I'm worried if I work all day and play on an evening it might get a bit too warm? I could be wrong as I've never had a laptop before but if it's likely that running it long hours gaming is going to get it a bit too warm I'm rather buy it now rather than later. Will it not be a problem?

As for why I don't set it up on his kicthen table... I may as well play at home if I do. :) The whole point is we can sit together and game and he only has a small desk in his hallway (so can't perch on there). So I thought if I had something small and foldaway I could sit in the hall with him without creating a permanant obstruction when I'm not there. :D

6. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Well you really don't need a cooling fan or anything. I run several applications like Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator (all CS5) for hours at a time and have never had any overheating problems. My fans only get over 3k rpm when it sits on my bed and can't vent very well. On a hard surface you shouldn't have any issues. A cooling pad shouldn't be bought until you need it. If your computer keeps getting too hot and shuts it self off (for safety) then you could get a cooling pad.

I now understand the hallway lol I thought he would go in his room and just make you stay out in the hall by yourself. Didn't realize his desk was in the hall as well. My only thought would be something like a breakfast in bed folding type table. There use to be one at my house, nice size and would work great while sitting on the floor... somehow it has disappeared. lol

7. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

Ok good to know, it saves a bit of money!

Lol yeah he's not like "you sit out there". :) Sorry I should have been clearer in my original post. That's actually a pretty good idea about the breakfast table, I might give that a google and see if the results are any better, many thanks!

8. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Hah! Sounds like the exact same setup as me.

I have a Crumpler - Considerable Embarrassment bag. All I can say is...meh. It's good because of all the pockets, but I've had a couple of times where I've put the bag down a bit hard on the floor and there was an "uncomfortable" thump. The padding right on the bottom of the case also keeps shifting position which makes it totally useless for protection. I've posted a pic of what I mean - but it's hard to see though.

As for a cooling pad, download SMC Fan Control and just up the RPM depending on your usage. I have two (2) Vantec Lapcool 2's that I double up as I also use them as USB hubs (see attached). If you're not at home, don't bother with a cooling pad like I did. Just stick with the fan control app and make sure the back of the laptop is not blocked and the bottom of the laptop is on a hardcover book rather than your lap. That should help keep the MBP as cool as possible.

I put up another post just recently to poll what other good bags are out there. Take a look.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1005785

Attached Files:

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Not sure this laptop stand has space for the mouse to move. My friend has one at her home and finds it convenient.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00120818

About Crumpler bags, yes, they are great. Well padded and lots of useful compartments. I have the Cheesy Chick which fits a 13". The 15" version is called the Cheesy Tina.

10. imnofanboy macrumors member

I have that exact Ikea table. It's great. They make them in several colors and have a couple different models if you are looking for something a little nicer or bigger. Check it out.

As for bags, well I just purchased the Tom Bihn Brain Bag and Tom Bihn Brain Cell. The Brain Bag is on backorder but I'm going to wait it out.

11. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

I love this forum, it's such a great place to get answers to questions.

That ikea table looks perfect! Just what I was after. They actually have a really clever fold-out one too but sadly it's not stocked at my local store. I'll see if I can convince the boyfriend to nip over with me at the weekend for a look in person. Great find though, many thanks.

As for Crumpler, I'm looking at the Royale Farmer. I like lots of pockets and I like that it's leather. Sadly some of the girlier looking bags appear to be a bit small and useless (don't they know we girls like to fit everything and the kitchen sink in our bags). Shame I can't get a proper look at it in a store, I can't find any resellers near me. I'll just take the plunge and buy online.

I actually had some concerns with SMC Fan Control, mainly that I don't know how it works and I was worried I might wear out the parts quicker (that's probably stupid! So apologies for my stupidity). Is it easy to set up and use? I might give it a whirl and see how I go. I'm just worried if I end up stuck in a 25 man raid on WoW that goes on a bit it might all start getting a bit too warm, and my room is like an oven at the best of times.

12. f2002q macrumors newbie

13. Bumflake macrumors member

I have an 8 year old large Crumpler Sheep scarer which I've been using on a daily basis and it still (almost) looks like new.
    It easily fits my 15" MBP and still leaves plenty of room for anything else to carry in it.
    They maybe a bit expensive compared to other bags, but imho really worth it.
    I'd recommend these bags to anyone. :)

As for the heat issue; my i7 can really get uncomfortable hot during gaming, so I can relate to your worries about it.
    smcFanControl does wonders here. It only raises the minimum fan rpm at the speed you desire and leaves the schema for automatically turning up the rpm when the heat increases untouched. Some may say that it will wear down the fans faster, but having had the experience of two melted GPU's in a Dell D830, I'd rather replace the inexpensive fans. The MBP is obviously better build than a Dell, but still...
    Also tilting up the back end of your MBP might help some during your gaming as the casing is basically one big heat sink and putting something small underneath the back edges to tilt it, greatly improves the air flow. I use some cork coasters for that.
    Actually I'm thinking about buying a Coolermaster Notepal U2 to replace the coasters, but for now they do ok. :)

14. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

SMC Fan control is really simple. You can change the customize the fan speed depending on what you're doing. I know when I'm playing games, I just jack it up to the max of 6200 rpm, when I'm doing regular work (i.e. office, surfing), I just bring it down to a more normal speed like 4000 rpm.

Again, it won't do anything if all your vents are blocked, so keeping it slightly elevated and generally having good air circulation works best. Keep the laptop in an open area, buy a room fan, turn it on, and start moving the air around.

15. Bumflake macrumors member

Another thing that came to my mind about heat is reducing the fps if the game allows it.
    I've done that for world of warcraft. Maxing it to 50-60 fps doesn't affect gameplay much, but really helps keeping your MBP cool.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I had that one. Emphasis on HAD, its crap, very unstable with the mouse pad attached. Its basically a very topheavy music stand with the laptop perched on it.

I needed a portable computer desk to use on construction sites and trade shows, and needed something very durable and able to work on uneven surfaces. I chose this and have been VERY happy with it. I use it everywhere...even here in my home office when I need a place to setup a secondary laptop next to my main desk. I ordered this direct but I think SkyMall (those mail-order catalogs you find in airplane seatback pockets) sells them also.

http://www.pctabletote.com/

[​IMG]

The nice thing is you can carry that with you when you travel.

If you don't want to spend that much money and he's got some room in the back of his closet for when you come to visit, why not just buy an inexpensive TV-tray like this? You usually have to buy a set of 4 of these but I bet if you look around you can find one pretty cheat at a thrift store.

[​IMG]

For bags, I tend to prefer Briggs and Riley for durability and protection. But for the money, its really hard to beat a Victorinox/Wenger/Swiss Gear backpack. I have the "Octane" model SA1181 and I think I paid like $50 for it on sale at Kohls. Lots of storage, padded laptop sleeve/pocket is in back of backpack so the padding on the back doubles to protect the laptop, great straps. Good value for the money. I routinely carry my 15" MBP plus my iPad in here...very happy with it and almost at 100K miles on that backpack this year alone.

[​IMG]

17. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

A little update. Firstly my MBP is ordered! I went for the 15" i7 with 4GB memory and the 7200rpm HD upgrade. Excited is an understatement. They're estimating delivery for Tues/Wed next week though. :( Don't know how I'll wait that long lol.

Secondly my boyfriend kindly drove up to Ikea with me on Saturday and I picked up that table that was linked earlier in the thread. It looks like it will more than do the job I require, and I couldn't go wrong for £15.

Still hesitating on the crumpler bag. I actually really like the look of the Russin Kings bag but it's a tiny bit more expensive than I wanted.

Is there anything else I might need before it arrives?

18. reubs macrumors 68000

As far as a bag goes, I've got the Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 for my 15" laptop. There's not a lot of storage in the bag itself (if you're using it carry your clothes over there and stuff, too), but it's been a good, reliable bag for me.

I love the look of the Crumplers, but the Timbuk2 has just been so sturdy for my needs.

The other things you're looking for, though, I don't have any suggestions. Sorry!

19. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a computer, don't skimp on the bag. I agree with the above poster... Crumpler or Timbuk2 will give you durability and last a long time.

I have both bags. I like that they can dub for other purposes. My Timbuk2 bag I use sometimes for day trips or overnight stays. There is a separate compartment for my MBP so that incase something spills it will not get on it. Plus another bonus feature is that they are very water proof. You can adjust the strap so that it will cover your backside. This is very great if you commute and you get stuck in heavy down pour.

20. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Crumpler makes great bags, I have the King Single, it is a backpack style that I use for school, and I love it! I also use one of their camera bags and it is great too.