Crunch, Toast, or Handbrake?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hipnomac, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

I am getting an Iphone this week and I will be looking to convert some Video TS, and DVD files into a format suitable for viewing on the iphone.

I like the idea of crunch because of the presets. Toast seems to have more features, and handbrake seems to do it all and its free.

Which is the best option? I've never converted video, so I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm looking for the easiest way with the best results with taking up the least amount of space.

Thanks!

I use a macbook C2D 2g Ram.

2. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

I've only used handbrake, just to convert movies for my ipod and it works perfectly. It takes about 30 minutes to get the movie to the correct size. I can't speak for the other programs, but I recommend Handbrake highly.

3. Hipnomac thread starter macrumors regular

Hipnomac

How do you figure out the size and such?

4. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

For the iPod, I found this tutorial:

http://www.anders.com/guides/convert/video/iPod/mac.html

I don't know much about the size needed for an iPhone and whether it's the same/diff. But that gives all the basic instructions. :)

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

HandBrake has presets for iPod and AppleTV. I believe iPhone does the same video types as the iPod. You can check the technical specifications at apple.com to be sure.

6. jtrwallace macrumors member

jtrwallace

I love Toast just because of all the features. The only thing is that you need handbrake or mactheripper to remove encryption first for toast to be useful. I mainly use Toast for burning dvds however. You are best off just using handbrake for everything since it will get rid of encryption and put it into the format you want. Personally, I use mactheripper to remove encryption and then use Toast to burn to dvd and if i want to convert it to ipod format I use Visual Hub... I use all of them. haha

7. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

iSquint or VisualHub all the way! iSquint is the simpler freeware version and VisualHub is the pay version. It has an iPod preset and works just great.