Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hipnomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Chicago
I am getting an Iphone this week and I will be looking to convert some Video TS, and DVD files into a format suitable for viewing on the iphone.

I like the idea of crunch because of the presets. Toast seems to have more features, and handbrake seems to do it all and its free.

Which is the best option? I've never converted video, so I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm looking for the easiest way with the best results with taking up the least amount of space.

Thanks!

I use a macbook C2D 2g Ram.

KristieMac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Harrisburg, PA
I've only used handbrake, just to convert movies for my ipod and it works perfectly. It takes about 30 minutes to get the movie to the correct size. I can't speak for the other programs, but I recommend Handbrake highly.

Hipnomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Chicago
I've only used handbrake, just to convert movies for my ipod and it works perfectly. It takes about 30 minutes to get the movie to the correct size. I can't speak for the other programs, but I recommend Handbrake highly.

How do you figure out the size and such?

jtrwallace

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
I love Toast just because of all the features. The only thing is that you need handbrake or mactheripper to remove encryption first for toast to be useful. I mainly use Toast for burning dvds however. You are best off just using handbrake for everything since it will get rid of encryption and put it into the format you want. Personally, I use mactheripper to remove encryption and then use Toast to burn to dvd and if i want to convert it to ipod format I use Visual Hub... I use all of them. haha

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
iSquint or VisualHub all the way! iSquint is the simpler freeware version and VisualHub is the pay version. It has an iPod preset and works just great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.