Crunching the numbers Apple comes out ahead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tttexxan, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I saw this post and thought is kinda funny...Sure Phone looks cheaper but-----------------------------------there making 40 bucks on you over the term of the 2 contract...Not bad if millions upgrade..

This gives the numbers...

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/94465

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's pretty easy to see that you will be paying more in the long run with the 3G model when compared with the 1st gen iPhone. Minimum $75 a month (excluding taxes and fees) for 24 months is $1800 for service plus $200 for the cheapest handset is $2000 over two years. The old iPhone (for me) is $60 for the service ($1440 for two years) plus $400 for the handset. This is considerably less than it'd be for the new iPhone over two years ($200 less).

So it comes down to: Is the increase in price worth it to have 3G and GPS? That's a subjective question.

On one hand, I think it's quite deceptive and irresponsible for Apple to market it as "half the price" but on the other hand it's the consumer's responsibility to know what they will be paying. You can make your own decision after slicing through the marketing talk. In this respect, Apple is no better than any other cell phone company.