Crushed MBP... get an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazydrumma, Nov 17, 2007.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Hey all,
    This past week, I returned from class to find that a hanging decoration (skateboard deck) had fallen onto my computer. My roommate and I had hung up decorations and placed them away from desks so as to prevent this sort of thing, but on its way down it caught a shelf and fell squarely onto my Macbook Pro. It fell directly over the optical drive (which i just had repaired a month ago for $310, should have gotten applecare) and it also crushed my mousepad, rendering the button useless as well as the DVD drive, etc. I took it in to the Apple store, and the man working the Genius bar took one look at it and said "Holy crap, what happened?" It turns out this is a tier 4 repair, and will cost a minimum of $1,250.00 to repair. My Macbook Pro is coming up on 2 years old, and I don't want to put that much money to fix my 1.83 ghz computer.

I do a crap load of video and graphic editing, and have the full adobe CS2 as well as final cut, so I need another mac. However, I can get a 2.8 ghz imac with 2 gb of RAM, 320 GB hard drive, along with applecare for $2,178.00 with my student discount. A MBP with a 2.6 ghz processor, 160 GB hard drive with 2 Gig of RAM and applecare is $2,750.00 or so. I think the choice is clear. What do you guys think?

Also, my friend wants to buy the macbook pro off of me, and I don't know how much i should sell it for. Everything is intact except the mouse and optical drive basically, and even though it freezes when you move it quickly, he would use it as desktop only, with an external mouse. I was thinking around 400-500 range, any ideas? Thanks, all.

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

if he wants to buy a crushed laptop that freezes... be a real friend

tell him he would be better off buying a used macbook on craigslist for that price range

prolly better to part that thing out on ebay

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, talk about your bad luck. Sorry to hear about your MBP.

The key question is how much did you take your now crushed MBP to other places and work? If you need to be mobile, then the MBP is for you. If not, the iMac is the better purchase.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As a student, for that price I'd consider a 20" iMac 2.4 with 4GB of 3rd party RAM and another 20" display.

Or just the 20" iMac 2.4 now, and worry about the rest later. And as a student there might not be a later, and the need for a extremely cheap PC laptop would likely surface first.