Crushingly Depressing Airport Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Baker, May 26, 2007.

1. Baker macrumors newbie

I was running Shaw Highspeed a few days ago with an older modem. Everything was functioning normally. Upset with my download speeds and lack of bandwith, I decided it was time for an upgrade.

I got the Xtreme internet installed as well as a newer modem put in. And now my wireless doesnt work. :(

So heres the deal. Im using an older base station, about 4 years. Model No. is A1034 if anyone cares.

If I connect a machine directly into the model, it works fine. After speaking with a Shaw tech, he said that my signal was too strong and that was confusing the Airport. I was doubtful, but decided that if it could fix it, I might as well. So they sent another guy over and he put a cable splitter on the cable. The wireless worked long enough for me to send him on his way. Then it stopped working. I cant even patch the modem into the base station and then link another cable from the station to the machine.

Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? I dont really want to shell out for a new base station.

2. garybUK Guest

garybUK

ok not sure here but:

Some cable companies lock down the modem to a specific MAC address (The Hex-Decimal address of your network card).

Try, plugging in the aiport into the modem via a ethernet cable, then switch on the base station, then unplug the modem for a few minutes and plug it back in.

If that fails to work, go into Airport Config utility and check the Airport is set to DHCP (Receive an IP Address) on the WAN side (under Internet Connection).

I highly doubt it's anything to do with signal level's if your machine is working plugged right into the modem.