Cryptolocker Hijack Program - URGENT ATTN

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by alksion, Oct 26, 2013.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Anyone with Parallels or Bootcamp installed should be fully aware of this. Please do not be ignorant to others who may not be as savvy as you with downloading infections such as this.

Awareness is imperative and thought I'd share it with the community to prevent someone from having files encrypted, which are not backed up or otherwise saved off-site.

Read or search google for more:

http://blogs.sophos.com/2013/10/10/...tolocker-ransomware-trojan-making-the-rounds/

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/12/destructive-malware-cryptolocker-on-the-loose/

2. SandboxGeneral, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte also discussed it on this week's Security Now podcast at 39:10

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

For those clicking the video, the pertinent segment starts at 39:10

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Thanks. I was about to go figure that out too. :)

5. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

6. 50548 Guest

7. Deguello macrumors 6502

That's why? I've only started using Macs in the past couple of years, now in addition to Windows machines, and I've never had a virus on a Windows machine. I would've expected a better reason for choosing Macs than that.

8. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I think he's just stating one of the more important reasons he's always chosen a Mac, even if that wasn't conveyed properly. What you may expect is not always what someone else expects believe it or not.

I think one's primary choice to go with a Mac because he or she want's to avoid viruses is just as valid as another who chooses it solely for aesthetics.

9. Deguello macrumors 6502

Fair enough, but viruses can be avoided perfectly well on Windows.

Try not to put words in my mouth about how I view others' expectations, though. I only spoke of my expectations, not anyone else's.

10. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm not going to get in it with you, but you stated that you would have expected better reasons for one choosing a Mac. That may be true for you, but not for someone else. It's plain and simple. I am no way putting words in mouth, just reiterating what you said.

Furthermore, my OP also stated to be aware that not everyone is as savvy as you might think. While you may never have gotten a form of malware on your Windows computer, there are others who are quite gullible and can easily download something like this CryptoLocker malware.

11. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Its also worth noting, that macs require the user authenticate any new program to run or install. Windows has a lot of auto-run options. If you pay attention, you can avoid viruses on a PC. But its a lot easier on a mac. But that is not my primary reason for using OSX.