Crysis a PS3 exclusive?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MarsUltor, Mar 6, 2008.

1. MarsUltor macrumors member

Will the PS3 get an exclusive because of it's hardware prowess or will there be a cross platform release, with a (potentially) far superior version? Something to think about...

The quote is from the March 2008 issue of Game Informer, pg. 26

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Since the PS3 & 360 are pretty much identical power wise, one being better at A, the other better at B and vice versa, I highly doubt EA would miss any chance to make $$$$ by making a game exclusive.

Consider me skeptical ....

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

We always do :p:D

CryTek was hiring PS3 developers for a while there, while that means they are working on something with the crytek engine and the PS3 that doesn't mean that it will be Crysis. Plus honestly beyond the graphics Crysis was a huge dissapointment.

Ed

Edit: They still are hiring PS3 programmers http://www.crytek.com/jobs/frankfurt/ps3-programmer/

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO!! I reckon I was born a skeptical old man :p

Yeah I agree with you though. Crysis other than being exceptionally pretty (on a decent system) was actually a big dissapointment gameplay wise.

Hopefully FarCry 2 is better but we will have to wait and see. Also seeing as though FarCry 2 is multi-format, I certainly would be surprised if crysis was PS3 exclusive, but at the end of the day after playing PC version I wouldn't give EA $70 for it anyway......

Edit.. actually is who owns FarCry IP is it EA or Ubisoft ?

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It's Ubisoft and Far Cry 2 doesn't use the CryEngine 1 or 2 (or any variation of it) but an entirely new engine and a new development team completely unrelated to CryTek.

I think CryTek had intentions of showing off the CryEngine2 for consoles but it will definitely not be as full-featured as the PC version (they themselves have confirmed that) plus, for what it's worth, the rumors about Crysis coming to the PS3 actually talk about a game set in the Crysis world, not a Crysis port.

Anyways, knowing EA, if this does indeed come out, it will most likely come on both platforms... the PS3 may have a better processor but the 360 has a better GPU, I mean, neither is better or worse, they are just different which is why the comment about Crysis being a PS3 exclusive because of the high-spec requirements doesn't make any sense.

I actually enjoyed Crysis a lot, I'm surprised to see people say that it lacked on the gameplay department, I thought it had quite a few elements that made it stand out and play pretty well.

6. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

How can it be an exclusive when it's already out for the PC? That would mean it's currently a PC exclusive. Exclusivity would be gone once it comes out on the PS3.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think they mean console exclusivity.

8. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

Considering this is a console forum I think you know what they mean. :rolleyes:

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

true that ... after all i heard bioshock being called an exclusive as well :rolleyes:

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They all do it.... exclusivity means next to feck all these days to most people and I think publishers are becoming more aware of that fact, and the realization of higher development costs now and in the future will further diminish 'exclusivity' as the only way to financially survive is to go multi platform.

It's not new that PC versions of PS2 & Xbox games have arrived despite exclusive boasts, but it's certainly more 'obvious' these days.

By the next-gen I foresee the only exclusives will be first party titles (and then they will still end up on PC)

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

So you are expecting that Nintendo will fully allow all of their Mario, Metroid and Zelda games to be ported to the PC in addition to the Nintendo Orb (Nintendo's next console)?

And wasn't a version of the Crytek engine being developed for the Wii as well? What's the chance that we'll see Crysis on the Wii? Far Cry Vengence didn't look very good, graphically. Maybe the Crytek engine would produce amazing results on the Wii....

That said, I doubt Crysis would be ported to the PS3....this will probably end up being an all new continuation of the story/environment started in Crysis.

12. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I actually neglected to notice that but the definition of "exclusive" remains the same. But I nitpick. :)

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well Nintendo's always an exception, but I'll stick to hopeing they actually just give me

a console that supports HD
    a console that isn't region screwed
    a console that doesn't mean I have to wait 8 months to play a game the rest of the world has
    a console that offers more than just a bit of extra wiggle - other than wii sports I'm still waiting for the 'revolution'

sort that out and then we can talk about what games are exclusive ;)

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's a minor title, but I really don't think Zack and Wiki would be half as good without the Wii controls.

Also Metroid Prime.

16. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

:D

17. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I didn't like the MP controls. Turning around frequently lost the pointer off the edge of the screen for me.

Make the Nunchuk a proper IR remote, and then we're talking.

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It sounds like your sensor bar is in a position that the Wiimote isn't always picking up? Also how far are you from the sensor bar? Make sure that you're not more than 5 feet from it and that your sensor bar isn't being blocked by a ledge.

If sensor bar is fine and you pointer works smoothly, I take it you've never played a FPS on a PC, because the Wiimote + Nunchuck work on the same fundamentals as a mouse and keyboard setup.

Nunchuk a IR remote, why? They make a wireless Nunchuck if the cord is bothering you.

<]=)

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Why should Nintendo support the minority? :p Besides, the HD set really dertermins how good a Wii looks. But I'm all for them unlocking 720p support.

That sucks about the other stuff, have you htought about moving to the US? Our politicians may suck, but the people are generally nice. :)

The revolution was getting old people to game and for me a true pointing device.

You can't have it your way, because Nintendo isn't Burger King.

<]=)

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Was offered a job a while ago in san diego, like a fool I didn't accept.. If only I had known ;):D