Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
I am going to be receiving my 2.8GHZ octo core Mac Pro with the NVIDIA 8800GT on Monday. I will be installing XP via bootcamp on the system to play games. I plan on running everything cranked up to high includding 8X AA and
16X AF. I will be playing on a resolution of 1280 by 800 (1/2 of res. of 30" ACD). I heard that people have been having problems with lowering the resolutions on their APPLE CINEMA DISPLAYS! Has this happened to you? Please help. Praying that all goes well on my new Mac Pro.:)

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Hmm... In my experience with crysis, high AA is a real killer.. And even the 8800GT can't cope with everything set on high.

If you plan on scaling down the resolution you might get better fps results, but if I were you I would use your 30" ACD's native resolution and leave the settings at medium-high.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
Hmm... In my experience with crysis, high AA is a real killer.. And even the 8800GT can't cope with everything set on high.

If you plan on scaling down the resolution you might get better fps results, but if I were you I would use your 30" ACD's native resolution and leave the settings at medium-high.

Thanks for the advice. I was going to lower the resolution for sure but did you have problems when you lowered the res on your ACd?

Brianna

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
I am going to be receiving my 2.8GHZ octo core Mac Pro with the NVIDIA 8800GT on Monday. I will be installing XP via bootcamp on the system to play games. I plan on running everything cranked up to high includding 8X AA and
16X AF. I will be playing on a resolution of 1280 by 800 (1/2 of res. of 30" ACD). I heard that people have been having problems with lowering the resolutions on their APPLE CINEMA DISPLAYS! Has this happened to you? Please help. Praying that all goes well on my new Mac Pro.:)

From what I've read the only real problems with Crysis happen in Vista. I have not heard of a system with spec's like yours having any difficulties running Crysis in XP. I have not heard of anyone having troubles with Crysis in XP at any settings yet. You'll probably want to crank it up and dial it in from there, but you may be able to play it at Max settings.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
you should run @ 1900x1200 med/high

to get full maxed ur looking @ sli even tri sli

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks for the advice. I was going to lower the resolution for sure but did you have problems when you lowered the res on your ACd?

I use XP for gaming and I haven't had any problems scaling down the resolution on any of my monitors (20" ACD and a 30" ACD). However, on the 30-inch a scaled-down resolution doesn't *look* as pleasing as native resolution.

I suggest that you do what I did: after experimenting with various settings I settled for playing Crysis on my display's native resolution with the settings on medium. Still, your 8800GT is probably a bit better then the X1900 so you may get some more frames per second doing what I did.

Brianna

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
All the problems with Vista and Crysis on the mac, will this eventually be able to be fixed with an updated Vista patch?

Vista problems with Crysis have little or nothing to do with the Mac. Crysis has problems on any computer running Vista unless it has SLI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.