Crysis unexpectedly quits, murders comp for 5 min

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fergusonbk, Feb 21, 2008.

1. fergusonbk macrumors newbie

Yes. Starting a couple days ago, after a couple minutes playing crysis in windows xp bootcamp on my macpro, the game momentarily freezes, then the monitor turns off, followed by the computer soon turning off. My nice dell 24inch hd super monitor says going into energy savings mode, this seems like a hint. The computer and monitor and bunch of stuff are plugged into some power adapter, probably not an expensive one. I also see that the temp of the northbridge in my comp (when looking at the istats widget) is at 84 degrees (C or F?) while everything else is around the thirties, if this area is related to the gpu or memory perhaps it is getting too hot in there? The computer is in a small desk enclosing.. I have a macpro from last spring with the x1900xt or something, was playing crysis fine for a couple days now I can't even get 5 min before it turns everything off. Oh and it takes around 3,4 restarts for the monitor to see my computer when I start the mac back up; I hear the chime but nothing on the monitor until a couple minutes have passed or many restarts.
    Quick update, now most games in windows do this to me, have reinstalled windows so its not a virus or ****** program thing. Never have this problem in OSX (obviously), but crysis is the ill I need this. Thanks homeys

2. knome macrumors 6502

knome

what video driver are you using? Sounds like a heat issue. or a video driver issue. I would recommended not using computer cases that go with desks because of the poor ventilation.

3. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Sounds like something is overheating. I'd lean towards the video card...although that northbridge sounds pretty hot too (that temps gotta be celcius).

I think you might be able to download and install Nvidia nTune and see the temperature of your GPU. Play for 2 minutes and then quit the game and quickly look at the temp. I'm going to guess that if its hitting the 80's, that you're in trouble. Maybe an issue with the card like the cooler not being seated very well or that kinda thing.

4. fergusonbk thread starter macrumors newbie

ati drivers

in windows I have the latest ati drivers for the x1900, ati catacylst and what not. Im a mac dude, I only use windows to play games and I know it sucks terribly, Ive already had viruses and needed several hard reinstalls of the entire bootcamp partition. The mac isnt in an enclosing but in a slot in a desk, kinda open but not really.. Would you guys recommend a cooler fan or something? It does seem like the fans in the mac are running hotter/more frequently than before. Thanks fellas

5. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Ah I missunderstood. I thought you had an X1900 before but that you were trying crysis on an 8800 (not sure why I thought that). Anyway dont download the ntune software.

There is something called AtiTool which you can download. You can configure it to show the GPU temperature and has a stress test which spins a fuzzy cube. Its actually very hard on the card. The temperature will definitly climb but because its not a full screen program, you can see at what temperature it reboots the computer or causes problems (if it does at all)

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

90% of the 1900 cards for Mac will overheat and die when under stress. It is a known issue. Get a 8800 : )