Crysis Warhead running badly on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by macuser154, Jul 12, 2009.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I have a MBP with the following specs:

2.4GHz C2D
    256MB 8600M GT
    4GB RAM
    XP 32 Bit SP3

I was able to run Crysis on medium settings at 1440x900 with little or no lag. Now I have Crysis Warhead and I am barely able to run it at 1024x768 on low settings. I thought Warhead was supposed to run better than the original?

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I would really appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks!

2. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

3. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers! This should sort it. I was using the boot camp drivers off my Leopard disc - almost two years old :eek:. Thanks for your help.

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea don't use Apple's gfx drivers as they are out of date instantly lol. NVIDIA site all the way or laptopvideo2go.

5. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, just tried the new drivers, and I still have the same problem. I am averaging about 15FPS on the lowest settings at 1024x768. Anyone else have this problem?

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Do you have the game patched to 1.1.1.711. I know updating to Crysis 1.2.1 helped my frame rate. Also make sure FSAA(anti aliasing/multisampling) isn't turned on in the game or in the nvidia control panel. That will lower your frame rate a lot. Make sure you have the latest DirectX update installed. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell you without me downloading the game.

Edit: I just purchased Crysis Maximum Edition on Amazon.

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

lucky!! u guys have crysis! my parents won't let me get it lol. they think its too violent. whatever. anyways, update all of the stuff. leopard drivers are out of date. and update crysis as well.

8. zorahk macrumors 6502

there's hardly any blood in the game. I think starcraft is probably more violent.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

blood is only one aspect of violence..lol I guess they don't want their kid waving guns around in a first person perspective with photorealistic graphics

10. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

If your lucky enough to be able to run it with photorealistic graphics. Just completed it, what a great game. It is pretty smooth at 15FPS. I am gonna keep trying to get it working though.

Just an idea, but could it be XP? I have a copy of Windows 7 (Build 7000 unfortunately) should I try that out?

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is Crysis prettier than Crysis Warhead, because I didn't actually find Warhead to look very good. I thought it was all very bog standard blandly inspired landscapes. The cutscenes in engine look good, but everything else.... meh!

Running at full Gamer Specs at 1680x1050. Oh and still lots of pop in on foliage / fauna etc...

12. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Warhead is said to be prettier, although I have had the opposite experience, and I have found the original Crysis to be prettier.

13. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Has anyone got Crysis Warhead working on their MBP yet? I have a 2.8GHz uMBP with the 512 MB 9600GT and I want to get Crysis but only if it works lol.

14. zorahk macrumors 6502

Yeah, I played the whole game @ 1280x800 with everything on high except shaders and shadows on medium at 25-30 FPS. On the computer in my sig.

Also I am using Windows Vista and the latest nvidia graphics drivers.

15. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I played it in February this year. It played quite well on medium settings, if I remember correctly. Full blast and it staggered, I think. Def playable.

16. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I just got Crysis Maximum Edition (Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Crysis Wars) in the mail, I'll install it in a bit and let you know how it runs on my comp on XP.

17. 0makol16 macrumors regular

0makol16

I have the Aluminum MacBook 2.0ghz with 2gb of RAM and it ran fine with everything on medium, except shaders and shadows on low and I put object detail on the highest setting. I had the res at 800x600 and it was very very playable, I would say i got 20 to 35 fps dipping down to 15 in intense combat which is surprisingly playable. I don't understand why you are having trouble with it. I used these setting on Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Crysis Wars from the Crysis Maximum Edition box.

18. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

They are over protective and don't listen to my side of the story becuase i am too "young" to understand about violence and stuff. im 16. FML

19. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I couldn't really compare the games directly since I didn't see a benchmark that was of the same scene. Both games seemed to run about the same, with Crysis at 1.21 and Crysis Warhead at 1.1. Crysis Warhead did have a much more complex starting scene though with a lot of volumetric smoke.

20. oregon2 macrumors regular

I have a rather power gaming PC, and I also just got a uMBP 15". My advice: don't bother with Crysis on the MBP. Even on my PC there are sometimes issues, but with a 9600m GT, it's kinda pointless. Apple really needs to update the graphics cards.

As for which is prettier, I know Crysis is more demanding than Warhead, so I would assume Crysis is prettier. It's supposed to have better AA.

21. oregon2 macrumors regular

watev, sounds like your protective parents would also be the type to buy you a Mac, eh? surely there are benefits...

22. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I'm playing Crysis on my MBP with an 8600M GT at all Very High settings except for Shadows and Shaders which are at medium.

23. oregon2 macrumors regular

What's the framerate like, first of all? But even if it's "good", I'm pretty sure shaders are something you're gonna want on high. And I'm not even going to ask about AA.

24. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to get a Mac Pro. It's usually at around 15fps, so not that great, but playable.

25. oregon2 macrumors regular

Would you consider a PC? I just got my MBP and I really like it, but I have to say, it is not economical for playing games. Though it is possible to configure a very powerful gaming Mac, you will be paying 3x-5x as much, for equal performance, as you would if you built a desktop PC.

Gaming is all about the graphics card, but Apple tends to neglect the graphics card in favor of a more powerful processor or better RAM.