Crysis

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickarate, Mar 27, 2008.

1. nickarate macrumors regular

With my 2.4 Penryn with 4 gigs of ram, do you think I'll be able to play it on moderate settings?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

yes.. at low resolution like 1024x768 or lower. I can play with medium effects on that resolution. If you go lower you can increase the graphics to high but in areas where there is smoke/particles in the air or a bright light you will lag significantly (I'm inside the alien building..its pretty bad. it was generally good before that)

3. machspeed5 macrumors member

i have a 15" Penryn 2.5 MBP w/ 512 8600GT / 4GB RAM.....runs satisfactorily in boot camp (XP 32bit) (ie: poorly ;))

note, the game should be played on medium settings.

and check the results: (clearly, this generation of GPUs can't handle Crysis)

http://www.techspot.com/article/73-crysis-performance/page3.html

ps. also note that a 1+GHz improvement in processor speed only resulted in about 2-3fps improvement indicating that cyrsis barely utilizes the CPU (about 30% utilization in monitor on both cores)

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I tried playing Crysis on medium in Bootcamp XP, and my MBP tried to kill me... using its heat ray gun, I think.:eek:

5. elberggreno macrumors member

Well, I play crysis at 1440*900, everything at medium exept a few things (water, texture and something else) at high completly fluid. This is on a 15" 2,5 MBP with the GPU overclocked to 612/860 using Atitool. This is with the latest drivers from laptopvideo2go under Xp 32 in Bootcamp..

This config gives me roughly 5200 3d Mark 06 points - not to shabby!

Heatwise etc. there's no problem whatsoever - the MBP sufficiantly removes the heat and keeps the GPU cool and comfy =) . (You can hear the fans rev down from time to time - I'ts also a good thing to monitor the GPU temps under a long time in Atitool to check that everything i alright!)

Good luck!

Link to 3d Mark score (not the latest clock, only 800mhz on the memory) - >

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=5794480

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just want to say I played Crysis in beta and I didn't like it. Just my 2 cents.

7. elberggreno macrumors member

Haha..

forgot to mention that I have 4GB's of ram.

And oh- get your drivers here

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Laptopvideo2go has had some badly modded INF's lately (no control panel options etc.)

Just saw they just released some new drivers - have to test them out!

8. Carlog200 macrumors newbie

I just got crysis running on my 2.4 Sr 15". It runs like a charm without any driver downloads. Native res and all settings on high except shadows, some depth setting, and sound which are on medium. Fraps checks to a steady 20 to 35 fps except in cutscenes when the extra textures are loaded up. Then a lame 10 fps. No heat problems when playing crysis. I always prop up the back of the notebook when gaming to allow good airflow.