Crystal Ball 2033: What the World Will be Like in 25 Years

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Dec 1, 2008.

1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

• There will be flying cars.
    • Everyone will have microchips in their wrist so there is no need to carry around credit cards or a driver's license.
    • Due to global warming, there will be no winter... it is always summer.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We will be emerging from the economic collapse of 2009.

There are no American owned car companies.

Steve Jobs comes out of retirement to save Apple.

Angelina Jolie will pop out her 29th kid.

President-elect Chelsea Clinton will assume office on 1/21/33.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So we are all doomed?

4. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Pop Punk music goes back to it's roots of Green Day and Blink 182 and the like.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The year 2038 bug will be solved, by returning all technology to the day of the abacus.

Ron Jeremy will win a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Lead Actor in a Play after going on a diet and replacing Daniel Radcliffe as the lead character of Equus.

And finally (for now), Dick Clark will still be Rocking out New Year's Eve by performing the countdown, followed by an Anniversary episode of American Bandstand, featuring a Jackson Browne concert; both who will still look 23 years old.

BL.

6. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Apple introduces the all glass imac, ''Dubbed the crystal''

7. n8mac macrumors 6502

I have no idea about 2033. But I sure am looking forward to my new flying car in 2015. I think I will go with stainless steel and flip up doors...

[​IMG]

8. Stepper macrumors regular

The world will be run by Microsoft...Mondays will become part of the weekend due to "maintenace" being carried out on the servers :rolleyes:

9. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

We will all be fat, lazy and spend our days interacting with others via computers.

Oh, that's now...

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Prepare for the pessimistic list of preposterous claims:

• The first large scale abandonment of certain areas/islands will begin (due to global warming)
    • Hydrogen cars will still be a thing of the future, although Hybrids will have a large market share, electric cars still won't be mainstream.
    • The first wars over water will begin
    • A lack of funding into renewable energy plants begins to hit as nuclear waste hits an all time high
    • Half the world will be too fat, the other half will be too poor.

I think I'll probably end it all before we get far down the wrong road...

12. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I envision a slightly more dystopian tomorrow. (NOT a Tomroll or Rickroll) We're talking 1984-quality stuff here... That is, if humans are left to their own devices.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I will be leading a rag-tag all-female band of cyberpunk warriors against the zombie apocalypse.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

People will still be lining up for Apple Products -

and new Sony Playstations... :eek:

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, I found a book at my grandparents place written in the late 70's that makes some absurd predictions. Notably that in 2000 cocaine was legalised, every disease would be curable by manipulating the magnetic field around atoms (in 1997 no less).

16. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

nano technology finally extends range of electric cars beyond gas powered cars completely phasing out hybrid and combustion engine technology, china becomes a super power, a bullet train between SF and LA, First alien contact via radio, man on mars, stem cell research provides cure for most chronic ailments, scientists are in the process of exploiting cancer cells to extend human life, first terabyte phone, scientists discover God particle (actually a string), apple now sells mac os for all computers, and pixar makes a bad movie.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

18. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What I would like to see is a new youth culture that scares the crap out of adults and completely changes fashion, music and art. The last time that really happened was punk/new wave. Come on kids, I know you have it in ya. Scare me. P*** me off. Do something that hasn't been done before.

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sorry they're too busy with their youtubes and their rock 'em sock 'em robots on their phones. Technology has killed their creativity.

21. No1451 macrumors 6502

Heh, Water Wars brings to mind the "resource wars" that were the driving force in the game Earth 2150, and for y'all who don't know it, Fallout.

I predict whats happening now, poverty, starvation, death, war and generally people being pissed off at the government. Fairly safe bets I'd say. Maybe if we're lucky it won't go in the ******* and we can have some of that fun tech from Mike Villas' World

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know. Had this discussion after a film screening at Columbia College on the history of punk. It was sad. Kids look the same now as they did over 20 years ago. WTF is that all about? I don't believe that everything has been done before. There's always something new to be discovered. If the past 8 years didn't wake them up though, I doubt anything will.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Focus beam chemotherapy.

HIV vaccine.

Heart and liver replacement.

100 megapixel cameras.

1TB compact flash memory.

ultra-efficient cars and trucks

Sub $100K orbital flights.

Moon Base?

24. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

If we play our chips right, we'll see the following by 2033:

1) Automobiles will be powered by long-range ultracapacitor batteries that charge in under 15 minutes at a commercial charging station and can go as much as 600 km (372 miles) on a single charge. They will be in general smaller externally than today's cars, but actually roomier in many ways because of the elimination of the front engine compartment.

2) We'll still have commercial trucks, freight railroad locomotives and airplanes using liquid fuel, but the fuel source will now be oil-laden algae instead of crude oil.

3) Passenger rail will be maglev trains travelling as fast as 600 km/h (372 mph), essentially obsoleting most shorter inter-city airplane travel.

4) Electric energy generation will be done mostly by highly-localized wind power, solar power, geothermal power or ocean tidal power.

5) We'll be colonizing the Moon and beginning the manned exploration of Mars, thanks to various methods of reaching space by private initiative.

6) New technologies will make desalinization of seawater much less expensive, which means we could see a lot of the world's water needs come from oceans.

7) There will be a massive rethink of taxation systems around the world that will encourage citizens to save and invest their assets. We will see a switch to either a low-percentage flat tax or a consumption tax system like FairTax.

8) Children around the world will have to learn to be at least bi-lingual right from kindergarten (and when graduating from high school have to be fluent in two languages at the high school level). We could see the rise of not only English, but French, Spanish, Russian, and Mandarin-dialect Chinese as very widely-used languages around the world for business, science and literature that can be read by a huge fraction of the world's population easily.