Crystal ball: will 2012 MBPs become hard to find?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arete80, Oct 21, 2013.

1. arete80 macrumors newbie

Hard to answer I know, but when do you guys think it will become hard to find new/refurb mid-2012 MBPs for sale?

I have wanted one of these for a considerable time - it may represent the last of Apple's upgradable/serviceable Pros. Kyle Wiens of iFixit expresses it more eloquently than I here: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/opinion-apple-retina-displa/

I'm sitting on an Apple refurbished MBP 15" mid-2012, which cost £1,200 rather than £1,500. I don't think I can afford it right now and will probably have to return it until I can save up. The thing staying my hand is the gnawing anxiety that stocks will dry up, and I will be left with second hand as my only option.

So should I sell a kidney and keep it?

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I don't really think the 2012 MBP's will be hard to find anytime soon. There's an abundance of MacBook Pro's on eBay, for example.

As another example, I recently bought another '08 Alum MacBook off of eBay for $300. This may help you realize that there probably won't be any issue finding 2012 MacBook Pro's.

Just my $0.02

- Kyle

3. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Just as easy as finding an iPhone 4S. (that means very easy)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

New ones could still be purchased from dealers like Amazon while they sell out their remaining stocks.

When Apple issues a new model, like a new rMBP, the remaining unsold ones go to clearance. After that you can't buy them new.

If they discontinue the cMBP, they will go to clearance and you can get the remaining ones from Amazon, Best Buy, etc as long as they last.

New ones will become harder to find if they are no longer being made