Crystal Clear and Shapeshifter messed up my computer!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bethany-Wings, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Bethany-Wings macrumors member

Bethany-Wings

My brother got me to install shapeshifter and a theme to change the look of my computer, but now, when I open two windows of anything (like my skype and MSN) one or even BOTH become VERY transparent! I've deleted everything I thought of, and it still won't stop! What do I do!?

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

What I would tell you to do is different from what others would likely tell you. You have two options:
    1) check the App for an uninstaller. It obviously edited something in system preferences and should have one. (not all apps do.)

2) Do you have an external harddrive or Blank DVDs? If so, burn/copy everything you need or want to keep to them. Documents, music, movies, pictures, bookmarks... A blank DVD will hold 4.7 gigs of stuff. If you need to go that route, a few should do the trick.

Once you do all that, insert the OSX disk and reinstall OSX as a clean copy. Everything on your computer will be like it was when you first bought it.

3. newfield macrumors newbie

maybe you missed something

It's a long time I use Shapeshifter without problems.
    Maybe your brother installed EVERYTHING from the Crystal Clear DMG (which I use as default!). So, search in your apps folder "Set alphavalue4CC". It's the app which makes the windows transparent. You can edit it by your preferences, or simply delete it, as I did. In my iMac it solved the problem.

Also a tip: Be sure to have version 2, or later, of crystal clear, or iTunes9 will ask you for an update, and won't open.

I also suggest you to use other beautiful black themes of shapeshifter, which you can download freely from the site: They will reduce a lot your eyes' fatigue.