cs:s on 2011 'high end' MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evro50, Mar 4, 2011.

1. evro50 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've tried searching but couldn't find an answer. If im a blind idiot please link me to an appropriate thread. So I've just purchased my first mac with the following specs:

• 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    • 512GB Solid State Drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
    • MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

Great so far...so damn quick compared to this crappy xps15 (no doubt even better once i learn how to use it properly). Anyway I want to run cs:s on this and from what I've read on here & google everyone uses bootcamp - my question is why is boot camp necessary?

From what I can gather, the macbook should be able to handle cs:s if this xps13 can? And there is a steam for mac's isn't there?

I'm hoping to install without bootcamp...i really dont want anything windows related on it if it can be helped!

2. Hornzog macrumors member

Just get Steam for mac and play it through there. I think the only reason people run it through bootcamp is because some people dont like the mouse acceleration in macs for gaming.

3. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

You won't need to install Windows since CS:S is now available for Steam on Mac. And yes, it'll run without any problems on those specs.

The posts re: bootcamp may be dated before June 2010 (when the Mac version was released)

4. evro50 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Actually the whole bootcamp is idea is because windows drivers for the graphics card are usually better and the games usually perform better on windows, on the same machine.

6. tecnic08 macrumors newbie

Use Steam for Mac

I am also a CS:S player :D

Attached Files:

7. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

8. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

In terms of Steam games, there won't be a difference between Wind0ze and Mac with the kind of hardware you have. People... :rolleyes:

CS:S!!! Woohoo!!! Turn everything up to max and enjoy. Hehe

9. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

actually there is

10. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Care to elaborate?

At 2560x1600 with vsync on, AA and AF at max, I get 60fps the entire time in CS:S in either Mac or Win7. On a Mac Pro 1,1!

That's called a real world test, not some lame benchmark.

11. Yizhimao macrumors member

How much did you actually spend on this laptop wih such specs?? freaking insane.. Even from a gamers' perspective...

12. darkeartg macrumors regular

what he said lol, I have 2.3 with anti glare but man that ssd and that ram must have costed you a fortune!!

Anyway i like to play on boot camp cause it's smoother (sc2) and there isn't mouse acceleration although you can download something to cure that

13. jk6959 macrumors newbie

CS:S is such an old game that virtually any rig can max it out at ease (done easily on ULV +G105m).

You'll probably not see any difference be teen OSX and Windows as your system is more than powerful enough, it would be like the difference between 150fps and 200fps - you wouldn't notice it.

Other more taxing games you will see a difference between OSX and Windows 7 but fortunately the system should be powerful enough to play games natively at a reasonable detail and speed.that's important to me as I've ordered 128gb SSD so don't have the space to install 2 OS's and the games (will optibay later)