Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
OK I know it's a stupid question, and I could find no evidence of it on Adobe's site, but I notice when I am running batch actions and certain tasks in Photoshop CS, processor A is doing the majority of the work, and processor B only kicks in just a tad....

I heard some rumor (don't remember where) that said that CS2 uses both processors more efficiently?

Anyone confirm this?

It looks like CS2 has some really nice upgrades, but dual processor support would be a deal maker.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
I have been wondering the same thing, I use all the CS apps and I know there are some cool new features in CS2 but am curious as to whether or not CS2 really takes advantage of dual processors and if there is a significant, worthwhile, difference that will make me shell out an additional $549.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Barefeats did some tests: http://www.barefeats.com/cscs2.html

They came to the conclusion that "... some actions in our SP set are now dual processor aware. Good news for those of you with dual processors."

They also say it seems to use memory better under Tiger than under Panther.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
wow...the differences are pretty dramatic especially in the opening and saving of files...10-15 seconds vs. 45 seconds is imo pretty impresssive. As a prepress print and web designer I spend a lot of time opening, saving and prepping files (most of my files are in the 500MB to 1GB range) for output. Looks like I will definitely have to get CS2...

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
blaskillet4 said:
I thought Photoshop was DP aware since PS 7.0...
[educated guess]

I guess some filters were, but not all of them and not stuff like file manipulation and such.

[/educated guess]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.