CS2 or CS3 for a PM 1.8 DP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kermit4161, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kermit4161 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a performance hit with CS3 when loaded onto a PowerMac vs. CS2? I've got a whole lab of PMs and can put either Creative Suite 2 or 3 on them. Does CS2 run faster on the PowerPC processors over CS3?

Thanks!

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

On a G5 I've heard CS3 runs nicely. I know CS2 is solid on an upper end G4 and fast as hell on a G5, but I wouldn't go above it on anything below 1gHz (I run PSD 7 and Illustrator 10 on my 1gHz G4 laptop).

3. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

CS2 will run faster on a PPC than CS3.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

CS2 worked flawless on my G5 1.8 single CPU and i was running it under 10.5.2 with 1.5GB of memory, never did try CS3

5. kermit4161 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I think I might just put the CS2 licenses on the G5s.

6. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I don't know, I have both CS2 and CS3 on my PM G5 Quad and I would say that CS3 runs a bit faster. The speed boost isn't very big but I like CS3 better anyways.

7. kermit4161 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input all...

I'm putting CS2 on four of the PMs to see how they run. I'm still waiting on my media/license for CS3 and I've got a bunch of RAM ordered for the machines too (1GB upgrade kits for a total of 2GB).

I'll see how the PMs with CS2 do for now and compare them to the CS3 machines. If 3 runs smoothly on 2GB of RAM, then I'll move it over to the initial four :).

Right now I'm just cloning away to get the four done :p.

Cheers!

Alan

8. shaneb macrumors newbie

I run CS3 (the entire suite) on a dual 1.25ghz G4 with 2 gigs of ram and a faster HDD. No problems here.

Shane

9. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

I run CS3 on both a quad core Xeon (early 2008 mac pro) with 8gb of ram and a little 20" G5 iMac with 2 gigs of ram... it's sluggish on the G5, but it's not an all out performer on the MacPro either.

Seems like all Adobe's mac versions (PS, Flash, Dreamweaver, AI) run like crap on a mac... I think adobe is really dropping the ball from a development/performance side... who knows, maybe CS4 will resolve a lot of little issues that combine for a bad experience. Drop some of the legacy support and doggy code. Ok, sorry for the rambling...

:apple:

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I never noticed any big performance difference between CS2 and CS3 on my 1,67 ghz G4 PowerBook with 2gb ram. I think you are safe to use CS3 on these G5s since they are even faster than my laptop.