CS2 or CS3 for iBook 1.33Ghz/1.5Gb Leopard

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by hmai18, Apr 3, 2008.

1. hmai18 macrumors 6502

So I just installed Leopard and am re-installing some of the applications I had. I have the copy of CS2 I got with my undergrad site license, but can also get CS3 through a site license where I'm currently a grad student.

Which version would be best to run on my iBook? From what I understand CS3 is optimized for Intel machines. Is it worth the cost to get it if I'll be on my PPC for at least another year? I'll be working mainly in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

CS3 will run on your machine - I briefly had it running on a 667Mhz G4 15" powerbook, but it's rather slow - particularly InDesign, for some reason.

Unless you need the new features, I'd be inclined to stick with CS2.

3. hmai18 thread starter macrumors 6502

I doubt I've even mastered all of the features in CS2. I'm probably amateur at best. My main uses for the programs are:

PS: photography post-processing and image correction
    IL: minor graphics design work: t-shirts logos etc.
    ID: I'm the managing editor of our program's academic journal and will be doing all of the layout work for both the print and e-copies of the journal.

How much more HD space do the CS3 versions of those applications take compared to their CS2 counterparts?

4. Saliwa macrumors member

Hi,

Photoshop CS3 on my Windows machine is a bit slow, it is an Intel C2D E6300 with 1Gb Ram running on XP. I don't know if there are optimizations for OsX.