CS3 custom install?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lindarose, May 30, 2008.

1. lindarose macrumors newbie

I'd like to do a custom install of CS3 until I'm able to get a larger HD and probably a newer computer. Is this possible? Can anyone point my to a tutorial, article or manual that discusses this.

Thank you
    lindarose

I have a Power Mac G4, APG, 1.4GHz, 1GB Ram, OS X 10.4.11

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What do you mean by custom? What apps you want to install or not install? When the software loads the install you can pick what you want to install etc.

You are talking about Adobe CS3 right?

From what I remember it doesn't allow you run programs from the CD/DVD like MS Office does if that is what you are looking to do.

3. lindarose thread starter macrumors newbie

CS3 custom install?

rhett7660

Thanks for replying to my question. Yes, I'm talking about adobe CS3. Since I have limited HD space and my video card needs to be upgraded I can't and don't want to install the entire suite. I'd like to start with Dreamweaver, Acrobat, Contribute, Bridge and possibly Illustrator or Fireworks.

I think you answered my question. I can choose what I want to install when the software loads. That's what I wasn't sure of. Most of the things I read from googling were about windows. I'm new to OS X, so I'm a bit shy still.

thanks again, lindarose

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

If you can't choose the applications initially, you will be able to just before you click the "install" button, there should be a "customize" button to the left of it. Not sure, haven't upgraded to CS3 yet and I don't remember the CS2 install (was a while ago, and I needed the whole suite), but I know with, for example, Photoshop 7 you could choose not to install Imageready that way...

5. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Yes, I did exactly what you want to do. From the CS3 install disc I have only installed Photoshop, InDesign and Updater. You click on 'custom' when you are presented with that option and unclick the programmes in the suite you don't want installed.

Same as when I install Leopard. I unclick all the foreign languages I don't want and all the printer drivers as I don't have a printer.

Saves lots of space.

6. lindarose thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help.

I did it!! Was kind of scared since I had never installed anything on OS X. everything went well, so it seems.

I didn't install acrobat. I don't know why. I think I was worried about space.

I assume I can go back and install it. Am I right?

You folks really helped me get over the hump! Thank you so much.

lindarose

PS: There was a menu that let me choose what I wanted to install. Like you said, just uncheck what I didn't want.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You can go back and install other items. Just put disk 1 back in and click on the install. You will again be sent to the install screen and you can pick what to install.