CS3 Design Premium Breaks Safari PDF Capability

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jpfisher, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jpfisher macrumors regular

I installed Adobe CS3 Design Premium on my MacBook this weekend. Since then I have been unable to open PDF files in Safari.

Here's what happens --

1 - I click on PDF file to view.
    2 - I get a dialog window that is titled "Select an Adobe viewer for this PDF"
    3 - Click over to my Applications folder
    4 - I cannot select "Preview" because it is grayed out.

Preview still functions perfectly as a PDF viewer via Finder. I have PDF files set to open up in that application.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

2. dashiel macrumors 6502a

remove the following file:

[YOUR HARD DRIVE] > Library > Internet Plug-ins > AdobePDFViewer.plugin

i wouldn't delete it, i just put it in my acrobat folder in the applications folder.

3. jpfisher thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That fixed it. I looked around in Application Support and couldn't find anything, I didn't even think about Internet Plug-ins!

4. ClaphamChris macrumors regular

Or you can go into Acrobat Professional's Preferences, jog down to Internet and deselect the 'Open in Browser with' option.

Same effect.

But I've been impressed with PDF speeds in Safari from Acrobat 8 - much, much better than the slow crawl of previous versions.

That said, still switched back too!

5. dbernie41 macrumors regular

I had to go through that process you already stated to open pdfs in my browser but now i cant download PDFs that I could before I installed CS3 DP

I tried control clicking and using the menu and same with option click... it shows up in the Downloads windows and says "no permissions to read file" and doesnt download. How can I fix this.

I am thinking about uninstalled Acrobat 8 because I have never found any use for it at all so also if there is some reason I should keep this then enlighten me.