CS3 error with alternative keyboard layouts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlueRevolution, Dec 29, 2008.

1. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I just reinstalled Adobe Web CS3, and have encountered an odd problem. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, but all of the tool key shortcuts (V for selector in Flash, for instance) and command key shortcuts (command+S) have become mapped to their QWERTY equivalents. When I go into the keyboard shortcut preferences, it shows everything mapped correctly, with command+S for save and so forth, but it only responds to what on Dvorak should be command+O. I imagine most people here use a QWERTY layout and wouldn't notice this problem even if it did occur, but does anyone know what could be causing this? This has never happened before, and I have installed the same software from the same disks on the same computer in the past.

Thanks in advance!

2. BlueRevolution thread starter macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, I just reformatted my system and reinstalled everything (for other reasons), and guess what? Still happening. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I could just remap the keys I suppose, but it seems to be intermittent in which key it expects, and one of the combinations I use frequently, command+shift+X in Fireworks, is interpreted by Adobe as the QWERTY X but by Mac OS X as the Dvorak Q, and command+shift+Q in OS X is "log out".

I haven't upgraded to CS4, but I don't really feel the need to and have no guarantees that it will work any better then. I suspect the functionality may have been broken by a CS3 update.

3. macgruder macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. I use the Dvorak (DQ) keyboard, and command-S does Command-O. This is extremely frustrating, and Photoshop and CS stuff seem to be the only apps that do this. As far as I know this is because CS is still Carbon rather than Cocoa. The only work around is to remap all the keys yourself it seems - Adobe should at least supply that themselves but they don't, and the keys written in the menu will read incorrectly. So my Copy reads Command-J in Photoshop.

However, for some reason everything works fine in Dreamweaver - which I hardly use.

4. BlueRevolution thread starter macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I just picked up a copy of CS4, and it seems to be fixed in that version with all of the apps I tested (Flash and Fireworks). Thank God, seeing as I was ready to go mad. Both Dvorak and DQ work just fine.