Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funter

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Hi

When I place a Photoshop EPS which is about 8MB into my document, the document becomes extremely slow to refresh (not a problem I have experienced before with a relatively small file). The only way I can work on this document is to put it on "typical display". I have checked whether the file has become embedded but this is not the case.

Also when I package the document, this comes up: "traversing spreads for embedded images" (also I have not had this message before).

Many thanks in advance.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Any reason for using an EPS? Is it a duo or tri-tone? If not, try using a TIFF or a .psd instead. An EPS will contain its own 8-bit preview image that InDesign might be struggling with.

"Traversing spreads for embedded images" doesn't ring a bell and Google's not much help either. Sounds a bit flight-checky and may have something to do with how InDesign handles embedded images (including EPS previews) across spreads that will need slicing.

Just out of curiosity, I'd save a test document without your EPS, package that into a temporary folder and see whether you get the same message.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi

When I place a Photoshop EPS which is about 8MB into my document, the document becomes extremely slow to refresh (not a problem I have experienced before with a relatively small file). The only way I can work on this document is to put it on "typical display". I have checked whether the file has become embedded but this is not the case.

Also when I package the document, this comes up: "traversing spreads for embedded images" (also I have not had this message before).

Many thanks in advance.
Yes, a PSD file would work much smoother. Starting with CS3 i believe, they made the transition between the programs much more fluid. Does CS3 have bridge? I can't quite remember.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Does CS3 have bridge? I can't quite remember.

Yes, it does, although it was a resource hog. Although I use it at home for freelance work, I've found that in some studios in the UK, it's not widely used, with some preferring to drop a lot of PDFs or images onto Preview, of all things instead, because it's so fast.

Working with Bridge in the 'approved' manner in an entirely CS-based workflow takes some getting your head around it when you've been used to working with a workflow that's been based on QuarkXpress practices.

Anyway, not sure what's wrong with funter's eps; I hope we find out at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.