Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattia Sullini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
This is not something i spotted by myself, obviously, but since i haven't found this one in the forum, i thought it would have been useful to post a specific thread here.
For those who have done a clean install of Leopard on a reinitialized disk:
if you want to perform a fresh install of a CS3 app, your disk cannot be formatted as MacOS exended (Journaled, case sensitive), because otherwise the installer won't recognize your filesystem as valid. Format your disk as MacOS extended (Journaled).

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
That kind of sucks. If you're using 10.5, you can partition your drive on the fly using Disk Utility. So, if you have enough hard drive space, partition enough to reinstall the OS on the second partition and to fit all your stuff (this is a big if, of course). Make sure the new partition is Mac OS Extended - Journaled, but NOT case-sensitive. If you can do that, you could use Migration assistant to move your stuff from one partition to the other. Once you are sure everything has been copied and works accordingly, remove the old partition.

*** I've never tried this suggestion, but it seems like it might work. <--- DISCLAIMER :D

KiDo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
thx alot but i already figured something out, since i back up with time machine i was able to reformat the drive and then restore my time machine backup to the exact same time as before the reformat, everything is back now and CS3 is installing perfectly :)

EDIT guess that didnt work out as i thought it would.... the time machine restore formatted my drive back to case sensitive...
also, when i am in disk utility and choose to add a new partition it wont let me choose any other format than a case sensitive one, guess there's no other way than to just get a fresh start again?

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Still, you'd think it should be possible. If partitioning a hard drive into 2 separate partitions allows me to reformat Mac HFS+ Journaled into NTFS, surely there's a way to go from case-sensitive to case-insensitive. Still speculating, of course.

KiDo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Still, you'd think it should be possible. If partitioning a hard drive into 2 separate partitions allows me to reformat Mac HFS+ Journaled into NTFS, surely there's a way to go from case-sensitive to case-insensitive. Still speculating, of course.

there's only 1 option when choosing a format of the new partition... and that's case sensitive, unless i'm overlooking something

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I'm not saying you're wrong. I just have no way to test while at work. I've only partitioned my drive for the sake of installing Windows XP. Yes, I know. Horrible reason... :p

KiDo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
didn't you do that through bootcamp? when i partitioned my drive for xp, i never got to choose wich format, that had to be chosen during the xp installation, although i don't know if there are other ways :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.