CS3 On a G5 PowerMac Dual 2 GHZ

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chriscon, May 24, 2007.

1. chriscon macrumors newbie

Hi,

I own the above machine and am looking at getting CS3, however i am concerned that because my machine is the older type (not intel) that cs3 may indeed slow my machine rather that make my apps faster!

Is this the case or am i being worried for mothing??

Currently my machine is running apps like, PHOTOSHOP 7, ILLUS 10, ACROBAT PRO 6???

Any help would be greatful.

Cheers

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm currently running CS3 on a G5 2.5 dual. To be honest I've noticed no difference in speed one way or the other. The palettes (or panes as they're now called) fade in and out, and this can make the app pause for a second.

3. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

CS3 running on PM G5 Dual 1.8, ATI 9800XT 256:

I installed CS3 last week. Overall it works great. Up until now I´ve used CS. I´ve noticed only a slight speed decrease and some actions seem to hang for a fraction of a second. Switching between the apps takes a bit longer too.

My G5 only have 1.5GB of RAM, the hanging and switching issues is caused by disk-swapping judging by the sounds from my HD. Buying extra sticks in June.

I find that CS3 makes me compatible, avoiding work-arounds, so still saves me time.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've used CS3 on a PMG5 Dual Core 2.0Ghz.

That machine is fine, and will continue to be, for a few years yet. Don't panic you're not on Intel yet.

5. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I just installed CS3 on my Dual 2.5 G5 and have played around with it. You won't notice any slow speeds. Your jumping from PS 7 and Ill 10, just be prepared for differences in the pallets and locations of some things. Also be ready for a lot of different features if you haven't used CS/CS2 at all.

Once again speed shouldn't be an issue, it'll be faster than 7.0 as 7.0 wasn't optimized for the G5s as it came out before them.

6. knockknock macrumors member

knockknock

I installed CS3 in my PM G5 2.0 (dual processor) .It's slower than CS2.
    It was running with 2.5gigs of ram so I maxed it out yesterday to 4gigs. Not much of a difference .(BTW the memory setting usage in the prefs panel is 90% and Ican't use CS2 anymore.) :confused:

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've got the same machine with 4GB SDRAM and an X800 XT video card.

With Photoshop CS2 I clocked 2:23 on the Retouch Artists Speed Test. Just ran it again with Photoshop CS3. 1:20. Much faster. I didn't need to run the test to know this though. I work with it every day, and it was obvious to me. Even on a non-Intel Mac, it is a lot faster ;)

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's gr8!

But slightly strange IMHO.... I wonder how Adobe managed to get the UB suite, which probably would have been developed with Intel speed optimizations in mind (not only running native, but actually optimized for SSE2/3...) be faster than the suite(s) that have been developed with pure PPC with AltiVec optimization in mind on a G5.
    I mean, I really find it very assuring that this is the case, but could we conclude that maybe CS1 & CS2 weren't that perfectly optimized for SMP PPC with AltiVec..?

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

From what I heard, they recoded from the ground up for CS3.

10. Xavier macrumors 68020

running it on my G4. Runs the same as CS2 did. Hopefully when I upgrade it will run better :)

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Then they've made an very, very good job of it.

Maybe CS1 and CS2 had too much "lagacy" code.