Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicksopp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I have a MBP with an external display attached, and I was wondering if there was a way to move my photoshop or illustrator workspace to the external display while i have my MBP open and i'm running an extended display across the MPB screen and the external display.

I hope that makes sense haha.

Because right now if I have both screens up and running, I can drag whatever it is I'm working on over to the external display, but I can't get all my palettes and everything to follow from the lap top screen.

and sort of an extension of this question. is there a way to set up the displays so that menu bar across the top of the screen will extend across both displays and same with the applications bar across the bottom? Because right now they're both stuck on the MPB screen if I'm running both.

sorry if this post makes no sense, its my first time posting, its late, and i'm not sure how else to explain these problems haha. thanks in advance!

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
You can get click and hold on the tabs of the palettes you want and drag it over to the external.

If you really want your menu bar and everything else on the external screen, you can setup the menu bar to the external display as a default. System Preferences > Display > Arrangement.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to have the menu bar across both screens - you have to choose 1 or the other. So pick the one that makes life easiest for your work environment.

nicksopp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
it will not let me click and drag them for some reason. they seem to be stuck on the MPB screen. any other suggestions?

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Are you talking about the menu or the palettes? If you are talking about the palettes, make sure you are clicking and hold on the tabs, not the transparent black bar that collapses the palettes.

nicksopp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
the palettes. maybe I am just clicking in the wrong spot. I'll mess around with it a bit when I get home. thanks a lot guys!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.