CS3 - run on 3 computers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marekkurlmann, Jun 2, 2007.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

I'm going to be buying Adobe CS3 and have three Macs, a desktop and two laptops, that I'd like to run it on. I've read that the license provides for installation on only two machines. You see how this could present a problem.

Will I be prevented from installing CS3 on the third machine? Is there product activation? Does it work?

I'll be buying the Web premium edition with an education license, if it makes a difference.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think the license permits installation on a 2nd machine so you can have a copy on a desktop and still take it on the road. The intent is that you never have it open on two machines at once. The EULA does not allow for loading on a 3rd, but I don't know whether you'd be restricted from doing it if you were of a mind to break EULA.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

From the EULA:

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

So, you can install on one desktop and one laptop but only use one at once.

4. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

I know what the license says. I'm supposed to have the software installed on no more than two machines. But is it possible to run on three machines? Has anyone tried this?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You wont find anyone here willing to help you break to EULA.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

CS3 is very tight on registration. The registration needs to be done online and once there are 2 activations it won't allow a third. I am sure there is away around it (Google is your friend ;) )

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You won't be prevented from installing.
    Yes, there is activation.

I've never played with this for only three machines, but you could look into TLP (call them if you need clarification) and see if a better deal is possible than retail.

8. bleufire macrumors member

Not to thread jack but...

How would you go about the process (if ever) you reformatted your computer? Does that mean your SOL on that activation?

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If the original install has gone away from a crash, theft, alien invasion or the like, you can use Transfer License under the Help menu to get things fixed.